* Is there a way to distinguish binary files compiled with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 and -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2?
@ 2021-04-09  0:12 Peng Yu
From: Peng Yu @ 2021-04-09  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-patches/2004-09/msg02055.html

When I compile a .c file with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 and
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2, the binary files both contain symbols like
..._chk@...

So I can not tell whether _FORTIFY_SOURCE is 1 or 2 just by whether
symbols have ..._chk@....

Is there a way to tell the difference only from the binary file?

--
Regards,
Peng

* Re: Is there a way to distinguish binary files compiled with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 and -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2?
@ 2021-04-09 17:17 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2021-04-09 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Yu; +Cc: libc-help

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 8:12 PM Peng Yu via Libc-help
<libc-help@sourceware.org> wrote:

> https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-patches/2004-09/msg02055.html
>
> When I compile a .c file with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 and
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2, the binary files both contain symbols like
>
> So I can not tell whether _FORTIFY_SOURCE is 1 or 2 just by whether
> symbols have ..._chk@....
>
> Is there a way to tell the difference only from the binary file?

If you want to know about this feature you want to know about all the features.

In Fedora and in RHEL we use annobin to answer this question:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Annobin

Cheers,
Carlos.