* strftime() _GNU_SOURCE extension request
@ 2021-09-25  6:15 Vito Caputo
From: Vito Caputo @ 2021-09-25  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Hello list,

I'd like to propose a _GNU_SOURCE extension for strftime() treating
str=NULL similarly to snprintf()'s C99 handling of str=NULL; write
nothing to str, but return the number of bytes that /would/ be written
if str were non-NULL and sufficiently large.

Thanks,
Vito Caputo

* Re: strftime() _GNU_SOURCE extension request
@ 2021-10-07 19:31 ` Adhemerval Zanella
From: Adhemerval Zanella @ 2021-10-07 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vito Caputo, libc-help

On 25/09/2021 03:15, Vito Caputo wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'd like to propose a _GNU_SOURCE extension for strftime() treating
> str=NULL similarly to snprintf()'s C99 handling of str=NULL; write
> nothing to str, but return the number of bytes that /would/ be written
> if str were non-NULL and sufficiently large.

It sounds reasonable, I would suggestion you to check if gnulib is
willing to push for such change all well, since the code came from
them originally.