public inbox for libc-locales@sourceware.org
* Suggestion: Add wuu_Hans and wuu_Hant locales
@ 2023-01-27 14:40 SAIHAZE
From: SAIHAZE @ 2023-01-27 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-locales

My friends and I are working to bring Wu, a Chinese dialect, into the
computer world.

Wu is spoken in East China, and is written in Han (some people prefer
Hans and others prefer Hant). Adding localedata in GNU libc is a very
important step to our goal. But most locales are in the form of
language[_territory[.codeset]][@modifier], while these two are
language_variant. Is that OK?

* Re: Suggestion: Add wuu_Hans and wuu_Hant locales
@ 2023-01-27 15:09 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2023-01-27 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SAIHAZE via Libc-locales; +Cc: SAIHAZE

* SAIHAZE via Libc-locales:

> My friends and I are working to bring Wu, a Chinese dialect, into the
> computer world.
>
> Wu is spoken in East China, and is written in Han (some people prefer
> Hans and others prefer Hant). Adding localedata in GNU libc is a very
> important step to our goal. But most locales are in the form of
> language[_territory[.codeset]][@modifier], while these two are
> language_variant. Is that OK?

You should follow the existing syntax, so I expected it to be
wuu_CN@Hans and wuu_CN@Hant (or maybe wuu_CN@zh and wuu_CN@cmn),
presumably defaulting to UTF-8 as the character map.

Thanks,
Florian