public inbox for libc-locales@sourceware.org
* Where should ChangeLog entries for localedata go to now?
@ 2017-09-05 10:02 Mike FABIAN
From: Mike FABIAN @ 2017-09-05 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha; +Cc: libc-locales

Recently,  localedata/ChangeLog has been moved to
ChangeLog.old/ChangeLog.localedata.

For new changes to localedata, where should the new ChangeLog entries go
now?

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com>

* Re: Where should ChangeLog entries for localedata go to now?
@ 2017-09-05 10:18 ` Rafal Luzynski
From: Rafal Luzynski @ 2017-09-05 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha, Mike FABIAN; +Cc: libc-locales

5.09.2017 11:14 Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com> wrote:

> Recently, localedata/ChangeLog has been moved to
> ChangeLog.old/ChangeLog.localedata.

Now I wonder if this is really what we wanted.

> For new changes to localedata, where should the new ChangeLog entries go
> now?

If I understood correctly [1] [2] the changes to localedata
should go to the main ChangeLog.  But also IIRC the reason why
localedata had its own ChangeLog is that the changes to
localedata are not copyrighted.  Therefore, is that what
we wanted?

Regards,

Rafal

[1] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-08/msg00039.html
[2] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-09/msg00014.html

* Re: Where should ChangeLog entries for localedata go to now?
@ 2017-09-05 12:31   ` Mike FABIAN
From: Mike FABIAN @ 2017-09-05 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Luzynski; +Cc: libc-alpha, libc-locales

Rafal Luzynski <digitalfreak@lingonborough.com> さんはかきました:

> 5.09.2017 11:14 Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Recently, localedata/ChangeLog has been moved to
>> ChangeLog.old/ChangeLog.localedata.
>
> Now I wonder if this is really what we wanted.
>
>> For new changes to localedata, where should the new ChangeLog entries go
>> now?
>
> If I understood correctly [1] [2] the changes to localedata
> should go to the main ChangeLog.

Ah, yes, it  says that. Thank you, I’m fine with that.

> But also IIRC the reason why
> localedata had its own ChangeLog is that the changes to
> localedata are not copyrighted.  Therefore, is that what
> we wanted?

Why should it have any effect on copyright where the ChangeLog entries
go?

@ 2017-09-05 14:36     ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2017-09-05 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike FABIAN, Rafal Luzynski; +Cc: libc-alpha, libc-locales

On 09/05/2017 05:18 AM, Mike FABIAN wrote:
> Rafal Luzynski <digitalfreak@lingonborough.com> さんはかきました:
>
>> 5.09.2017 11:14 Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Recently, localedata/ChangeLog has been moved to
>>> ChangeLog.old/ChangeLog.localedata.
>>
>> Now I wonder if this is really what we wanted.
>>
>>> For new changes to localedata, where should the new ChangeLog entries go
>>> now?
>>
>> If I understood correctly [1] [2] the changes to localedata
>> should go to the main ChangeLog.
>
> Ah, yes, it  says that. Thank you, I’m fine with that.

That is correct, they should just go in the top-level main ChangeLog.

As noted, this has nothing to do with copyright status of the work.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Where should ChangeLog entries for localedata go to now?
@ 2017-09-05 14:45   ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2017-09-05 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Luzynski; +Cc: libc-alpha, Mike FABIAN, libc-locales

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017, Rafal Luzynski wrote:

> If I understood correctly [1] [2] the changes to localedata
> should go to the main ChangeLog.  But also IIRC the reason why
> localedata had its own ChangeLog is that the changes to
> localedata are not copyrighted.  Therefore, is that what
> we wanted?

The separate ChangeLog was probably because in glibc 2.0 localedata was an
add-on distributed in a separate release tarball.  As we haven't had
separate release tarballs for different parts of the project for a long
time, there is no need for separate ChangeLogs for them either.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Where should ChangeLog entries for localedata go to now?
@ 2017-09-06  2:18       ` Rafal Luzynski
From: Rafal Luzynski @ 2017-09-06  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike FABIAN, Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha, libc-locales

5.09.2017 14:30 Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/2017 05:18 AM, Mike FABIAN wrote:
> > Rafal Luzynski <digitalfreak@lingonborough.com> さんはかきました:

> >> If I understood correctly [1] [2] the changes to localedata
> >> should go to the main ChangeLog.
> >
> > Ah, yes, it says that. Thank you, I’m fine with that.
>
> That is correct, they should just go in the top-level main ChangeLog.

Then the wiki documentation needs to be updated now, examples:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Locales
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist

> As noted, this has nothing to do with copyright status of the work.

OK, maybe my memory is wrong.  Sorry for the noise.

Regards,

Rafal

* Re: Where should ChangeLog entries for localedata go to now?
@ 2017-09-06  6:36         ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2017-09-06  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Luzynski, Mike FABIAN; +Cc: libc-alpha, libc-locales

On 09/05/2017 07:20 PM, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
> 5.09.2017 14:30 Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 09/05/2017 05:18 AM, Mike FABIAN wrote:
>>> Rafal Luzynski <digitalfreak@lingonborough.com> さんはかきました:

>>> Ah, yes, it says that. Thank you, I’m fine with that.
>>
>> That is correct, they should just go in the top-level main ChangeLog.
>
> Then the wiki documentation needs to be updated now, examples:
>
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Locales
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist

Please feel free to update the wiki directly with the new information.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Where should ChangeLog entries for localedata go to now?
@ 2017-09-07 16:50           ` Rafal Luzynski
From: Rafal Luzynski @ 2017-09-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha, libc-locales

6.09.2017 04:18 Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/2017 07:20 PM, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
> > [...]
> > Then the wiki documentation needs to be updated now, examples:
> >
> > https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Locales
> > https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist
>
> Please feel free to update the wiki directly with the new information.

Good idea.  I've just done this.  As this is my first nontrivial change,
reviews and fixes are welcome:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Locales?action=diff&rev1=31&rev2=32
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist?action=diff&rev1=105&rev2=106

Regards,