public inbox for libc-ports@sourceware.org
* sendfile64 not impelemented in mips64
@ 2012-11-15  6:36 yili0568
From: yili0568 @ 2012-11-15  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-ports

Hello, everyone, when I compile the file used sendfile64 in mips64el,
gcc reported that warning: sendfile64 is not implemented.
Are the 3 files "sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/syscalls.list
ports/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/mips64/syscalls.list
ports/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/mips64/n64/syscalls.list
" the template of syscalls?

What the relationship of the 3 files. And I found sendfile64 in the
file sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/syscalls.list. But why gcc report
that warning?

How could I fix the bug? Implemented sendifle64 in
ports/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/mips64/n64/?

* Re: sendfile64 not impelemented in mips64
@ 2012-11-15  6:58 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2012-11-15  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yili0568; +Cc: libc-ports

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:36 AM,  <yili0568@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, everyone, when I compile the file used sendfile64 in mips64el,
> gcc reported that warning: sendfile64 is not implemented.
> Are the 3 files "sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/syscalls.list
> ports/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/mips64/syscalls.list
> ports/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/mips64/n64/syscalls.list
> " the template of syscalls?
>
> What the relationship of the 3 files. And I found sendfile64 in the
> file sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/syscalls.list. But why gcc report
> that warning?
>
> How could I fix the bug? Implemented sendifle64 in
> ports/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/mips64/n64/?

Please email libc-help@sourceware.org to discuss issues like this,
and we'll be happy to help talk about what might be going wrong.

Please make sure to include exactly which sources you are using,
how you configured glibc, and the full output of the error that
you see during the build.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: sendfile64 not impelemented in mips64
@ 2012-11-15 22:34 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2012-11-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yili0568; +Cc: libc-ports

MIPS n64 does not use sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/wordsize-64 because of
differences between struct stat and struct stat64.  To determine whether
some aspect of the sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/wordsize-64 implementation of
some function should be copied for n64 you need to examine the interface
to the function, and the associated underlying syscall in the Linux
kernel, to determine whether such copying is correct in the particular
case.  Depending on the userspace interface to the function, and the
kernel syscall interface, in the particular case, it may or may not be
appropriate to handle n32 like n64 as well.

It would make sense for someone to go through everything in
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/wordsize-64, with reference to the MIPS syscall
interface, to work out what is correct and what is optimal for both n64
and n32 for each function.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: sendfile64 not impelemented in mips64
@ 2012-11-16  1:52   ` yili0568
From: yili0568 @ 2012-11-16  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: libc-ports

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:33:55PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> MIPS n64 does not use sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/wordsize-64 because of
> differences between struct stat and struct stat64.  To determine whether
> some aspect of the sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/wordsize-64 implementation of
> some function should be copied for n64 you need to examine the interface
> to the function, and the associated underlying syscall in the Linux
> kernel, to determine whether such copying is correct in the particular
> case.  Depending on the userspace interface to the function, and the
> kernel syscall interface, in the particular case, it may or may not be
> appropriate to handle n32 like n64 as well.
If I call sendfile64 and sendfile used with assembly language in mips64el
platform, It works well.
> It would make sense for someone to go through everything in
> sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/wordsize-64, with reference to the MIPS syscall
> interface, to work out what is correct and what is optimal for both n64
> and n32 for each function.
the sendfile64.c is empty in the directory sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/wordsize-64