public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* libffi on i386 Plan9/APE
@ 2012-12-03  5:58 Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2012-12-03  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

Hi

I managed to sort-of build libffi on Plan9 under the ANSI-POSIX ENVIRONMENT.
On this OS only a static library can be built.

The configure choked on a couple of things assuming GNU coreutils-behavior
(the command "cut" does not exist, and I needed to sed away a couple of
options from ls and mv), so I ended up manually adjusting files that failed to
be configured  (so there is lots of room for improvements on my port).

Two files under x86 (unix.S and sysv.S) are GAS ASM, which is different from
Plan9 ASM so they could not be compiled into objects. Are there C variants of
those files available?

Are those two object files essential for libffi function? What are the
relevant tests to do of libffi.a ?

* Re: libffi on i386 Plan9/APE
@ 2012-12-03  9:27 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2012-12-03  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Staal; +Cc: libffi-discuss

On 12/03/2012 05:58 AM, Jens Staal wrote:

> I managed to sort-of build libffi on Plan9 under the ANSI-POSIX ENVIRONMENT.
> On this OS only a static library can be built.
>
> The configure choked on a couple of things assuming GNU coreutils-behavior
> (the command "cut" does not exist, and I needed to sed away a couple of
> options from ls and mv), so I ended up manually adjusting files that failed to
> be configured  (so there is lots of room for improvements on my port).
>
> Two files under x86 (unix.S and sysv.S) are GAS ASM, which is different from
> Plan9 ASM so they could not be compiled into objects. Are there C variants of
> those files available?

No, and it's not possible to do so.

> Are those two object files essential for libffi function?

Yes.  They are the core of libffi.  They do the arg passing from
memory to registers and back.

> What are the  relevant tests to do of libffi.a ?

There's a full DejaGNU testsuite provided, run with "make check".

Andrew.