public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* libffi does not respect libdir configuration
@ 2014-08-19 20:55 Paolo Borelli
From: Paolo Borelli @ 2014-08-19 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss; +Cc: Ryan Lortie

Hi,

    as far as I can see it seems libffi always installs in the
$(prefix)/lib64 directory, even when building with a specifc
--libdir=$prefix/lib configuration.

I am seeing this problem on a centos 6 system when building the 3.0.13 tarball.

This is a major problem when trying to build the gtk stack since
jhbuild (which is gtk's conventional build tool) enforces the use of
lib over lib64 for all the other libraries.

Thanks,

     Paolo

* Re: libffi does not respect libdir configuration
@ 2014-08-20  7:19 ` Samuli Suominen
From: Samuli Suominen @ 2014-08-20  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

On 19/08/14 23:55, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     as far as I can see it seems libffi always installs in the
> $(prefix)/lib64 directory, even when building with a specifc
> --libdir=$prefix/lib configuration.
>
> I am seeing this problem on a centos 6 system when building the 3.0.13 tarball.
>
> This is a major problem when trying to build the gtk stack since
> jhbuild (which is gtk's conventional build tool) enforces the use of
> lib over lib64 for all the other libraries.
>

> Thanks,
>
>      Paolo

This has been a problem for Gentoo as well, so we are simply overriding
it using 1-liner sed:

sed -i -e 's:@toolexeclibdir@:$(libdir):g' Makefile.in

(And making sure the generated libffi.pc after install is still is OK as
a precaution)

I'm just saying as a hint, for any other packagers who don't want the
overly smart logic from
configure to be used.

- Samuli