public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* building with msvc
@ 2011-05-31 17:05 Aaron Patterson
From: Aaron Patterson @ 2011-05-31 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

Hi everyone!

Are there instructions for building libffi on windows using msvc?  I see
it mentioned once in the readme, but I'm not sure what I need on my
system in order to run configure and the msvcc.sh shell script.

I'd like to build the .dll and the .lib file.  Any hints would be
greatly appreciated!

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 487 bytes --]

* Re: building with msvc
@ 2011-05-31 17:47 ` Timothy Wall
From: Timothy Wall @ 2011-05-31 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Patterson; +Cc: libffi-discuss

You should be able to just run configure under cygwin with CC=path/to/msvcc.sh, although my first attempt configuring that way failed on win64 so I went back to my original script.

I wrote the adapter script originally for the JNA project.  I just recently had to make some tweaks to my original script to convert paths (using cygpath), since apparently the windows path-fixing has been removed from configure.  If you're using cygwin you usually have to patch up the unix-style paths into something msvc understands.

My updated script is here: http://java.net/projects/jna/sources/svn/show/trunk/jnalib/native/cc.sh (also ld.sh).  I just added path-fixing, I didn't back-port any of the other tweaks that may have gone into msvcc.sh.  I just successfully configured and built using CC=cc.sh and LD=ld.sh, but that's on win64.  You may have to make some modifications for 32-bit windows, I've not tried an msvc build on win32 for a long time.