public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* CI changes and test failures on ppc64le-linux-gnu
@ 2019-10-16 20:22 Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2019-10-16 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

I've been working on adding additional architecture support to our
travis-ci tests and, to that end, I just committed a patch to test on 32-
and 64-bit ARM and ppc64le Linux systems as well as using foreign fedora
container images emulated with qemu.

https://github.com/libffi/libffi/commit/825b2a359468af8bf3570a5a0695e8b805c5446f

The builder images are defined in a new project here:

https://github.com/libffi/ci-build-containers

One of the tricks to get this working was to split the testing of different
optimization levels into different build jobs (so as to not to exceed the
build timeout limits on travis).  So now you can set
LIBFFI_TEST_OPTIMIZATIONS="-O2" and 'make check' will only test that
optimization level.  Travis runs multiple build jobs in parallel, so this
seems like a good strategy.

Test results look good, with the exception of some ppc64le failures on the
struct-related tests.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to run gdb in this kind of
emulated environment, so I'd appreciate it if somebody could have a  look.

I also just noticed that Nov 12 will mark the 5th anniversary of the last
libffi release.  It would be nice to release a new one on that day this
year.   There are still a number of patches in the queue that I'll try to
dig into again, but I would appreciate help!

Thanks!

AG

* Re: CI changes and test failures on ppc64le-linux-gnu
@ 2019-10-21 12:16 ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2019-10-21 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

I found ppc64le hardware in the GCC compile farm and everything passed
(with new and old host compilers).  So I suppose this is a problem with
qemu.  I'll remove that platform from testing on travis-ci.

AG