public inbox for libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
* <stacktrace> on windows
@ 2022-11-24 21:28 Björn Schäpers
From: Björn Schäpers @ 2022-11-24 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libstdc++

Hi there,

I want to use C++23's <stacktrace> on windows (in particular msys2 MinGW), but
had to realize that _GLIBCXX_HAVE_STACKTRACE is not defined.

That I got quite easily fixed, and have my copy of libstdc++_libbacktrace.a, but
using that segfaults immediately. There is no filename inserted into
__glibcxx_backtrace_create_state and itself does not find one on windows, than
the error callback is called, which is not provided (nullptr).

When looking at the libbacktrace issues on github [1] I see some more possible
problems on windows.

I'm willing to work on that, my question is if that repository on github is
linked in any way to the libbacktrace in gcc? Are changes from there ported to
the gcc code? Are changes from the gcc code ported to libbacktrace on github?
Where should I start to work?

[1] https://github.com/ianlancetaylor/libbacktrace/issues

Kind regards,
Björn.

* Re: <stacktrace> on windows
@ 2022-11-24 21:52 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-11-24 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Schäpers; +Cc: libstdc++

On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 at 21:28, Björn Schäpers wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I want to use C++23's <stacktrace> on windows (in particular msys2 MinGW), but
> had to realize that _GLIBCXX_HAVE_STACKTRACE is not defined.
>
> That I got quite easily fixed, and have my copy of libstdc++_libbacktrace.a, but
> using that segfaults immediately. There is no filename inserted into
> __glibcxx_backtrace_create_state and itself does not find one on windows, than
> the error callback is called, which is not provided (nullptr).
>
> When looking at the libbacktrace issues on github [1] I see some more possible
> problems on windows.
>
> I'm willing to work on that,

Great!

> my question is if that repository on github is
> linked in any way to the libbacktrace in gcc? Are changes from there ported to
> the gcc code? Are changes from the gcc code ported to libbacktrace on github?
> Where should I start to work?

it's the same code, and it looks like Ian keeps them synced.