public inbox for libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
* Faster indexed heuristic doubly-linked list to STL?
@ 2021-08-24  9:55 Rodion Efremov
From: Rodion Efremov @ 2021-08-24  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libstdc++

Hello,

I would like to rewrite my fast linked list in Java [1] to C++ and
contribute it to STL. If we allow the operation

    iterator at(size_t index) // runs in Theta(sqrt(N))

the data structure in question can add/remove an element also in total
Theta(sqrt(N)).

What do you think? Can it make it to the library?

Best regards,
rodde

[1] github.com/coderodde/LinkedList

* Re: Faster indexed heuristic doubly-linked list to STL?
@ 2021-08-24 10:27 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-08-24 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodion Efremov; +Cc: libstdc++

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021, 10:55 Rodion Efremov via Libstdc++, <
libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to rewrite my fast linked list in Java [1] to C++ and
> contribute it to STL. If we allow the operation
>
>     iterator at(size_t index) // runs in Theta(sqrt(N))
>
> the data structure in question can add/remove an element also in total
> Theta(sqrt(N)).
>
> What do you think? Can it make it to the library?

Probably not.

Libstdc++ is an implementation of the ISO C++ standard library (and related
ISO C++ extensions).

We do have some historical extensions that are not part of the standard,
but they are a maintenance burden and we prefer to avoid adding any more.
We only include things that are in the C++ standard, or are proposed for
inclusion in a future standard.