public inbox for libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
* Request for comment from LEWG
@ 2022-03-28  1:11 Soul Studios
From: Soul Studios @ 2022-03-28  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libstdc++

Hi all,
was hoping to hear back from Jonathan but haven't so far, so just
posting here for comment too - this is Matt Bentley.

std::hive (previously: colony) has had a preliminary meeting under LEWG
- there were a couple of questions raised by the chairs based on the
concern that the secondary option (memory_use) in the 'hive_priority'
template parameter might not end up being implemented by implementors,
which then would get frozen into ABI. They recommended I contact
yourselves, amongst others.
If someone could get back to me on the following before april 5th (the
next hive lewg meeting) that'd be appreciated:

a). Would libstdc++ be more likely to use the reference implementation
(https://github.com/mattreecebentley/plf_hive, which has the memory_use
implemented) or write it's own? The reference is under a zLib license,
which is compatible with GPL, but as far as I know I could 'grant' a
version to libstdc++ under the GPL, if this were a problem (the original
would retain it's zlib license).

b). If libstdc++ were to roll it's own implementation, would the
memory_use priority be likely to be implemented? In terms of the
reference implementation, this option merely changes the skipfield type
from unsigned short to unsigned char - which reduces skipfield memory
use while limiting maximum block capacities, which in turn limits
performance above ~500 elements. There are more memory-saving designs
possible, which are described in the 'Design Decisions' section of the
paper
(http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2022/p0447r19.html),
but to date I have not tried these, have only indicated that they are
possible.

Thanks in advance-
Matt

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-03-28  1:11 UTC | newest]