public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* Packaging mauve for debian
@ 2002-10-16  3:45 Grzegorz Prokopski
From: Grzegorz Prokopski @ 2002-10-16  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

hi!

I am packaging mauve for debian as I want to use it for testing
SableVM (http://www.sablevm.org) while porting to other arches.

I have some questions.

1. I will need to (pre)compile the tests. I used this:
for one in `find . -name \*.java`; do javac $one ; done;

It gives me some errors about semantics in about 3 source files,
but I belive they're there just becasue mauve is work in progress.

2. After I gather the tests (into some directories in filesystem,
or maybe some zip or jar? - anything against it?) I will have
to run them. Is there any other script besides makefile
that is capable of running the tests when they're put into
specified directory?

3. It doesn't seem that make install does anything useful? right?

ad 2. can you give me some manual way of running the tests?

The goal for me (and for enduser) would be to have a script
which can run all of the tests on current JVM (java command)
or specified test if given as argument.

Any hints and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Packaging mauve for debian
@ 2002-10-17  8:35 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-10-17  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grzegorz Prokopski; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Grzegorz> I am packaging mauve for debian as I want to use it for testing
Grzegorz> SableVM (http://www.sablevm.org) while porting to other arches.

Ok.

Grzegorz> 1. I will need to (pre)compile the tests. I used this:
Grzegorz> for one in `find . -name \*.java`; do javac $one ; done;

You should really use the existing build environment.
One problem with precompiling Mauve is that then you need a new
mechanism for deciding what tests to run.  Mauve was built (some would
say mistakenly) to decide what tests to run at build time.

Grzegorz> It gives me some errors about semantics in about 3 source files,
Grzegorz> but I belive they're there just becasue mauve is work in progress.

Please send a report.  I don't think anything in Mauve should
miscompile.

Grzegorz> 2. After I gather the tests (into some directories in filesystem,
Grzegorz> or maybe some zip or jar? - anything against it?) I will have
Grzegorz> to run them. Is there any other script besides makefile
Grzegorz> that is capable of running the tests when they're put into
Grzegorz> specified directory?

You can always run the test harness by hand.
The hard part is computing the list of tests to run, and this can't be
done without the source code around.

We run the tests from Makefile like this:

        cat classes | \
	CLASSPATH=$$CLASSPATH:`/bin/pwd` $(JAVA) gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness $(TESTFLAGS)

So there's nothing special; just running a java program.

Grzegorz> 3. It doesn't seem that make install does anything useful? right?

Right.

Grzegorz> The goal for me (and for enduser) would be to have a script
Grzegorz> which can run all of the tests on current JVM (java command)
Grzegorz> or specified test if given as argument.

Not every test is appropriate for every JVM.  JVMs differ in library
coverage.

However, you could compute a complete list pretty easily.
SimpleTestHarness already can run any subset of the tests.

Tom

* Re: Packaging mauve for debian
@ 2002-10-18  5:29   ` Grzegorz Prokopski
From: Grzegorz Prokopski @ 2002-10-18  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: mauve-discuss

W liście z czw, 17-10-2002, godz. 17:30, Tom Tromey pisze:
> You should really use the existing build environment.
> One problem with precompiling Mauve is that then you need a new
> mechanism for deciding what tests to run.  Mauve was built (some would
> say mistakenly) to decide what tests to run at build time.
I was thinking about it and here's my solution.
I think I package the source of mauve into binary package.
Then I create script which unpacks it to /tmp/$secure_name/
./configures it and runs. then it removes /tmp/$secure_name
if not told otherwise (for ex. by specifing temp dir by hand)

I think it would be the best thing that can be done w/o
digging deeply into mauve's nature.

It's not just a normal-user package and I think such approach
can be used for this, _sepcific_ package.

Or maybe you'd have some other proposals?

@ 2002-10-19 13:28     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-10-19 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grzegorz Prokopski; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Grzegorz> I think I package the source of mauve into binary package.
Grzegorz> Then I create script which unpacks it to /tmp/$secure_name/
Grzegorz> ./configures it and runs. then it removes /tmp/$secure_name
Grzegorz> if not told otherwise (for ex. by specifing temp dir by hand)

Note that you may need to specify KEYS on a per-VM basis.

Grzegorz> Or maybe you'd have some other proposals?

Not really.  It never occurred to me that somebody might want to
package mauve.

Tom

* Re: Packaging mauve for debian
@ 2002-10-24  9:24 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2002-10-24  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grzegorz Prokopski; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Hi,

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 12:45, Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:
> 1. I will need to (pre)compile the tests. I used this:
> for one in `find . -name \*.java`; do javac $one ; done;
>
> It gives me some errors about semantics in about 3 source files,
> but I belive they're there just becasue mauve is work in progress.

What errors do you get? I recently made sure that most sources could be
compiled with whatever version of the core classes you where using. But
of course if your core classes don't implement some classes then you
will not be able to compile the tests for those classes.

> ad 2. can you give me some manual way of running the tests?
>
> The goal for me (and for enduser) would be to have a script
> which can run all of the tests on current JVM (java command)
> or specified test if given as argument.
>
> Any hints and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You can always just create a classes file (like the current build system
does) and distribute this with you package. Then end users can just do:

	cat classes | someVM gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness

The only disadvantage of that is that if the VM is not very robust that
it may hang or completely crash on a test.

I wrote some scripts that compile and run all tests one by one with a
timeout. They can be found in the Mauve mailinglist archives. Please let
us know if you use those scripts then we can integrate them.

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/mauve-discuss/2002-q3/msg00019.html

I would be very interested in the results of running Mauve on different
VMs. There are clearly some tests that are not completely correct (like
some java.lang.Character tests). So it would be nice to compare what
fails on every known VM.

Cheers,

Mark