public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* X.509 certificate tests
@ 2004-10-26  5:46 Casey Marshall
From: Casey Marshall @ 2004-10-26  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

Hi,

I've repackaged the implementation of the PKITS [1] test suite I wrote
for the X.509 implementation I have been working on (and, might be
putting into Classpath) for Mauve.

The test tarball is quite large, as it contains a great many example
certificates and CRLs, so I have posted it here instead of to this
list:

  <http://metastatic.org/source/pkits.tar.bz2>

--
Casey Marshall || csm@gnu.org

[1] http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/testing/x509paths.html

* Re: X.509 certificate tests
@ 2004-10-26 15:46 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2004-10-26 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casey Marshall; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Casey> I've repackaged the implementation of the PKITS [1] test suite I wrote
Casey> for the X.509 implementation I have been working on (and, might be
Casey> putting into Classpath) for Mauve.

Is this something that would fit into the existing mauve approach?  If
not we can always make a new module in cvs.

Hmm, I see you don't have mauve write access.  Let's change that.

Tom

* Re: X.509 certificate tests
@ 2004-10-26 17:09   ` Casey Marshall
From: Casey Marshall @ 2004-10-26 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Casey> I've repackaged the implementation of the PKITS [1] test suite
Casey> I wrote for the X.509 implementation I have been working on
Casey> (and, might be putting into Classpath) for Mauve.

Tom> Is this something that would fit into the existing mauve
Tom> approach?  If not we can always make a new module in cvs.

I don't see why not; all of the tests are very simple, and follow the
same pattern: parse some certificates, give them to the
CertPathValidator, and get a "yes" or "no" answer at the end.

The only really problematic part are the certificate data: they are
about 2.6M of binary goo. Any problem with including them?

--
Casey Marshall || csm@gnu.org

* Re: X.509 certificate tests
@ 2004-10-26 17:20     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2004-10-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casey Marshall; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Casey> The only really problematic part are the certificate data: they are
Casey> about 2.6M of binary goo. Any problem with including them?

As long as there are no legal issues I don't see a problem.  My copy
of mauve seems to be about 14M already, a few more megabytes won't
hurt.

Tom

* Re: X.509 certificate tests
@ 2004-10-26 17:58       ` Casey Marshall
From: Casey Marshall @ 2004-10-26 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Casey> The only really problematic part are the certificate data: they
Casey> are about 2.6M of binary goo. Any problem with including them?

Tom> As long as there are no legal issues I don't see a problem.  My
Tom> copy of mauve seems to be about 14M already, a few more megabytes
Tom> won't hurt.

The test suite was developed by the US government, so it is not
subject to copyright.

Parts were contracted out by the NSA, but it seems that they have
stated that the test files are freely redistributable [1].

--
Casey Marshall || csm@gnu.org

[1] http://cio.nist.gov/esd/emaildir/lists/pkits/msg00047.html

* Re: X.509 certificate tests