public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* Re: failure notice
@ 2002-06-12 10:49 Dalibor Topic
From: Dalibor Topic @ 2002-06-12 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

 The constructor of the test subsclass for
 java.io.PrintStream is broken: it calls the
 constructor of PrintStream with an OutputStream of
 null. That's not allowed according to the Java Class
 Libraries 2nd Edition  Volume 1 book by Chen et. al.
 It results in a NullPointerException on kaffe and
 JDK 1.4.0, probably on other VMs, too.

 I could post a patch if you agree that this test
 needs to be fixed.

 best regards,

 dalibor topic

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

* Re: failure notice
@ 2002-06-13  2:01 ` John Leuner
From: John Leuner @ 2002-06-13  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dalibor Topic; +Cc: mauve-discuss

>  The constructor of the test subsclass for
>  java.io.PrintStream is broken: it calls the
>  constructor of PrintStream with an OutputStream of
>  null. That's not allowed according to the Java Class
>  Libraries 2nd Edition  Volume 1 book by Chen et. al.
>  It results in a NullPointerException on kaffe and
>  JDK 1.4.0, probably on other VMs, too.
>
>  I could post a patch if you agree that this test
>  needs to be fixed.

Sounds right.

John Leuner

* Re: failure notice
@ 2002-06-13 10:05 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-06-13 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dalibor Topic; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Dalibor>  The constructor of the test subsclass for
Dalibor>  java.io.PrintStream is broken: it calls the
Dalibor>  constructor of PrintStream with an OutputStream of
Dalibor>  null.

Thanks.  I've changed it to use System.out.
What do you think of that?

Does the PrintStream constructor require an exception if the argument
is null?  Or is this just a QoI thing?

Do you want Mauve write access?  That might be best if you plan to
hack on it more.

Tom

* Re: failure notice
@ 2002-06-13 14:39   ` Dalibor Topic
From: Dalibor Topic @ 2002-06-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: mauve-discuss

--- Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:
> writes:
>
> Dalibor>  The constructor of the test subsclass for
> Dalibor>  java.io.PrintStream is broken: it calls
> the
> Dalibor>  constructor of PrintStream with an
> OutputStream of
> Dalibor>  null.
>
> Thanks.  I've changed it to use System.out.
> What do you think of that?

Yes, that's better. It works for current kaffe, gij
3.1 and jdk 1.4.0. It's only needed temporarily
anyway, and gets replaced in the test by the
ByteArrayOutputStream.

> Does the PrintStream constructor require an
> exception if the argument
> is null?  Or is this just a QoI thing?

the spec is silent on it (up to JDK 1.4.0 at least).
The Java Class Libraries Book 2nd Ed Vol 1 by Chen et
al says the constructor requires a non-null output
stream.

> Do you want Mauve write access?  That might be best
> if you plan to
> hack on it more.

I'd like to migrate some tests from kaffe over to
mauve. So write access would be nice, but not really
necessary.

cheers,