public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
From: Stephen Crawley <crawley@dstc.edu.au>
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>,
	Sascha Brawer <brawer@dandelis.ch>,
	mauve-discuss@sources.redhat.com, commit-classpath@gnu.org,
	crawley@dstc.edu.au
Subject: Re: Mauve patch
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 06:01:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Tom,

> Perhaps it is better to just remove the test.

That would be my preferred option.

> Or make a new "unportable" section of Mauve, since some things
> seemingly can't be tested.

I think it would be better for each JVM projects to manage its own
non-portable testcases.   In Kissme for example, there is a small
regression testsuite (called "HitMe") that tests some of Kissme's low
level and VM specific features.

The HitMe harness assumes that less of the VM infrastructure is working
that the Mauve harness does.  There is even a version that avoids using
java.lang.io.* and uses the rc returned using System.exit() to signal
test success / failure.  Some HitMe tests require special Kissme
commandline arguments.  The makefile understands this ...

-- Steve