public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
From: Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com>
To: "noloader@gmail.com" <noloader@gmail.com>,
	"newlib@sourceware.org" <newlib@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Use of initialized variable in strtod.c
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:37:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Sorry to keep replying to myself. More below.

On 3/15/2017 3:03 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

>>> Yes. You have to provide a modeling file. Also see the Coverity Scan
>>> FAQ entry "what is a model" at https://scan.coverity.com/faq.
>>
>> A model is for odd cases like where you have your
>> own memory allocators or synchronization primitives.
>>
>> I think this is a case for what they call annotations.
>> I have never written one of these but I think we would
>> have to add a comment something like this ahead of the
>> call:
>>
>> /* coverity[uninit_use_in_call] */
>
> Adding this does result in silencing Coverity on this issue.
> It doesn't change the fact that the uninitialized bits
> variable is used on the RHS of ULtod() though. :(

But this in __call_atexit.c is definitely correct. It is
treating free() as a weak symbol and the only way to
silence Coverity is to add an annotation.

136      /* Don't dynamically free the atexit array if free is not
137         available.  */

CID 175323 (#1 of 1): Function address comparison (BAD_COMPARE)
func_conv: This implicit conversion to a function pointer is suspicious: free.
    	Did you intend to call free?
138      if (!free)
139        break;

>> I will try adding that notation but we clearly need
>> some guidelines as a project.

Agreed. There appear to be cases where annotation is the
only solution. Is adding annotation acceptable?

If a solution other than annotation exists, is that
the preferred option?