public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* ChangeLog no longer updated
       [not found] <1201185415.4090556.1588161899467.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2020-04-29 12:04 ` R. Diez
From: R. Diez @ 2020-04-29 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

Hi all:

The last entry in the ChangeLog file dates from 2016-06-23:

https://sourceware.org/git?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;hb=HEAD

 If this file is no longer maintained, I think it is worth mentioning it in that file itself. For example, the OpenOCD project says the following:

    Retired in favor of git log.

It is not ideal, because the Git log is not really designed for users. But at least it tells you what the situation is.

Or is there another place where release information is kept?

Regards,
  rdiez

* Re: ChangeLog no longer updated
@ 2020-04-29 12:15   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2020-04-29 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib; +Cc: R. Diez

On Apr 29 12:04, R. Diez via Newlib wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> The last entry in the ChangeLog file dates from 2016-06-23:
>
> https://sourceware.org/git?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;hb=HEAD
>
>  If this file is no longer maintained, I think it is worth mentioning it in that file itself. For example, the OpenOCD project says the following:
>
>     Retired in favor of git log.
>
> It is not ideal, because the Git log is not really designed for users. But at least it tells you what the situation is.
>
> Or is there another place where release information is kept?

Yes:

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob_plain;f=newlib/ChangeLog;hb=HEAD

The top-level ChangeLog is shared between projects and not acticely
maintained by newlib.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

* Re: ChangeLog no longer updated
@ 2020-04-29 12:59     ` R. Diez
From: R. Diez @ 2020-04-29 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: newlib

> Yes:
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob_plain;f=newlib/ChangeLog;hb=HEAD
>
> The top-level ChangeLog is shared between projects and not acticely
> maintained by newlib.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Is there any other project using the top-level Changelog? Because it does not look that way. I would then add to the top of that file a comment about
where to find the ChangeLog for each separate project. Or just some generic statement like "Each project maintains its separate ChangeLog, check the
project's subdirectory".

The reason behind this nitpicking is that I am often frustrated by Newlib's documentation. It's like death by a thousand cuts, you waste a little
everywhere. I just wish you could find information more naturally.

Best regards,
   rdiez