public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* Resurrecting Missing Methods in inttypes.h
@ 2017-04-02 19:54 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2017-04-02 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

Hi

A long time ago, I asked about adding the missing methods
in inttypes.h. The thread meandered and never came to
a conclusion. It is here:

https://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2013/msg00626.html

I **THINK** the consensus was that:

+ we want individual bodies so they can be linked to
and documented in newlib style.

+ __int128_t is not an issue.

+ Cygwin is doing this with "aliases"

   imaxabs = llabs
   imaxdiv = lldiv
   strtoimax = strtoll
   strtoumax = strtoull
   wcstoimax = wcstoll
   wcstoumax = wcstoull

It looks like the FreeBSD implementation does **NOT*
depend on any underlying size assumptions.

I would like to propose merging the FreeBSD implementations
and would like suggestions on adding documentation.

Thanks.

* Re: Resurrecting Missing Methods in inttypes.h
@ 2017-04-03  8:39 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2017-04-03  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

On Apr  2 14:54, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> A long time ago, I asked about adding the missing methods
> in inttypes.h. The thread meandered and never came to
> a conclusion. It is here:
>
> https://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2013/msg00626.html
>
> I **THINK** the consensus was that:
>
> + we want individual bodies so they can be linked to
> and documented in newlib style.
>
> + __int128_t is not an issue.
>
> + Cygwin is doing this with "aliases"
>
>   imaxabs = llabs
>   imaxdiv = lldiv
>   strtoimax = strtoll
>   strtoumax = strtoull
>   wcstoimax = wcstoll
>   wcstoumax = wcstoull
>
> It looks like the FreeBSD implementation does **NOT*
> depend on any underlying size assumptions.
>
> I would like to propose merging the FreeBSD implementations

Patches rule... :)

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Resurrecting Missing Methods in inttypes.h
@ 2017-04-03 12:18   ` Gedare Bloom
From: Gedare Bloom @ 2017-04-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 4:39 AM, Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Apr  2 14:54, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> A long time ago, I asked about adding the missing methods
>> in inttypes.h. The thread meandered and never came to
>> a conclusion. It is here:
>>
>> https://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2013/msg00626.html
>>
>> I **THINK** the consensus was that:
>>
>> + we want individual bodies so they can be linked to
>> and documented in newlib style.
>>
>> + __int128_t is not an issue.
>>
>> + Cygwin is doing this with "aliases"
>>
>>   imaxabs = llabs
>>   imaxdiv = lldiv
>>   strtoimax = strtoll
>>   strtoumax = strtoull
>>   wcstoimax = wcstoll
>>   wcstoumax = wcstoull
>>
>> It looks like the FreeBSD implementation does **NOT*
>> depend on any underlying size assumptions.
>>
>> I would like to propose merging the FreeBSD implementations
>
> Patches rule... :)

We just wanted confirmation this sounds like a good idea. We might
have a student work on it under GSoC, and prefer not to steer students
down rabbit holes.

Gedare