public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* No License on math.h
@ 2021-03-19 21:51 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2021-03-19 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Newlib, Stephen Clark

Hi

We noticed there is no copyright or license in math.h. Unfortunately, this
file has this as the oldest commit:

2000-02-17 Christopher Faylor import newlib-2000-02-17 snapshot

And at that time it didn't have a file header either.

Any ideas what header should be on it?

Thanks.

--joel

* Re: No License on math.h
@ 2021-03-20  0:07 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-03-20  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

On 2021-03-19 15:51, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> We noticed there is no copyright or license in math.h. Unfortunately, this
> file has this as the oldest commit:
> 2000-02-17 Christopher Faylor import newlib-2000-02-17 snapshot
> And at that time it didn't have a file header either.
> Any ideas what header should be on it?

The default first licence which applies if no explicit licence is specified:

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.NEWLIB

* Re: No License on math.h
@ 2021-03-20  0:19   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2021-03-20  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Newlib

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021, 7:07 PM Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca>
wrote:

> On 2021-03-19 15:51, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > We noticed there is no copyright or license in math.h. Unfortunately,
> this
> > file has this as the oldest commit:
> > 2000-02-17 Christopher Faylor import newlib-2000-02-17 snapshot
> > And at that time it didn't have a file header either.
> > Any ideas what header should be on it?
>
> The default first licence which applies if no explicit licence is
> specified:
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.NEWLIB

We discussed on RTEMS chat that was likely the answer. Would you please add
that? There is no provenance in the git history that this is intended and
not a mistake.

I can think of one case where it turned out to be a mistake by the
submitter.

Thanks

--joel

> --
> Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>
> This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
> too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
> [Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

* Re: No License on math.h
@ 2021-03-22 12:36     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2021-03-22 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

On Mar 19 19:19, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021, 7:07 PM Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > On 2021-03-19 15:51, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > > We noticed there is no copyright or license in math.h. Unfortunately,
> > this
> > > file has this as the oldest commit:
> > > 2000-02-17 Christopher Faylor import newlib-2000-02-17 snapshot
> > > And at that time it didn't have a file header either.
> > > Any ideas what header should be on it?
> >
> > The default first licence which applies if no explicit licence is
> > specified:
> >
> > https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.NEWLIB
>

> We discussed on RTEMS chat that was likely the answer. Would you please add
> that? There is no provenance in the git history that this is intended and
> not a mistake.
>
> I can think of one case where it turned out to be a mistake by the
> submitter.

Not in this case.  The file is as old as the repo itself and the import
was done from the internal Cygnus repo into the new public CVS repo.
COPYING.NEWLIB is pretty explicit here.

Corinna

* Re: No License on math.h
@ 2021-03-22 13:30       ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2021-03-22 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Newlib; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 7:36 AM Corinna Vinschen via Newlib <
newlib@sourceware.org> wrote:

> On Mar 19 19:19, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2021, 7:07 PM Brian Inglis <
> Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca>
> > wrote:

> > > this
> > >
> > > The default first licence which applies if no explicit licence is
> > > specified:
> > >

> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.NEWLIB
> >

> > We discussed on RTEMS chat that was likely the answer. Would you please
> add
> > that? There is no provenance in the git history that this is intended and
> > not a mistake.
> >
> > I can think of one case where it turned out to be a mistake by the
> > submitter.
>
> Not in this case.  The file is as old as the repo itself and the import
> was done from the internal Cygnus repo into the new public CVS repo.
> COPYING.NEWLIB is pretty explicit here.

OK.

The background is that for RTEMS, we have a pending patch to avoid
warnings in our tests that check if the POSIX and C Library headers
follow the standard for the minimum set of includes to use the method. For
long double methods, they are not present on some architectures and
this causes these compile only tests to have warnings. There is some
quite specific conditional logic in math.h to ensure long double prototypes
are only visible under certain conditions.

One thought was to duplicate this logic in our tests and we wanted to
cite it properly.

Another was to ask for newlib's math.h to define something to indicate
it has long double support for a target. This would be preferable long
term especially since adding long double math for some RTEMS targets
where double != long double is on the todo list.

Would a define like _NEWLIB_HAS_LONG_DOUBLE_MATH being set
when long double be possible? But looking at the math.h right now, I'm
not sure the precise line to add it.

--joel

> Corinna

* Re: No License on math.h
@ 2021-03-22 16:09         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2021-03-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

On Mar 22 08:30, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 7:36 AM Corinna Vinschen via Newlib <
> newlib@sourceware.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 19 19:19, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > > On Fri, Mar 19, 2021, 7:07 PM Brian Inglis <
> > Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca>

> > https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.NEWLIB
> > >

> > > We discussed on RTEMS chat that was likely the answer. Would you please
> > add
> > > that? There is no provenance in the git history that this is intended and
> > > not a mistake.
> > >
> > > I can think of one case where it turned out to be a mistake by the
> > > submitter.
> >
> > Not in this case.  The file is as old as the repo itself and the import
> > was done from the internal Cygnus repo into the new public CVS repo.
> > COPYING.NEWLIB is pretty explicit here.
> >
> [...]
> Another was to ask for newlib's math.h to define something to indicate
> it has long double support for a target. This would be preferable long
> term especially since adding long double math for some RTEMS targets
> where double != long double is on the todo list.

Adding those to newlib would be quite helpful to all arches.

> Would a define like _NEWLIB_HAS_LONG_DOUBLE_MATH being set
> when long double be possible? But looking at the math.h right now, I'm
> not sure the precise line to add it.

Just send patches.

Thanks,
Corinna