public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* bug with printf positional arguments?
@ 2023-06-28 13:28 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-06-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

The following trivial program (extracted from a glib testcase)

> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main()
> {
>   printf ("%1$*2$.*3$s", "abc", 5, 2);
> }

does not produce the expected output of "   ab", on 64-bit Cygwin.

 From a bit of staring at and stepping through get_args() in
libc/stdio/vfprintf.c, it looks like the problem is (something like) we
don't have the knowledge that the first positional variadic argument
should be treated as a pointer, at the point that we store it's value,
so it gets treated as an integer (the default), which is going to lead
to truncation on LP64 platforms.

A straightforward way to fix this eludes me.