public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* issue with tgamma
@ 2024-01-05 10:49 Paul Zimmermann
       [not found] ` <BN2P110MB154427B901AD06FB47A831F59A66A@BN2P110MB1544.NAMP110.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2024-01-05 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

       Hi,

I discovered the following issue with tgamma: for x=-0x1.13a5ccd87c9bbp+1008
it yields +Inf instead of NaN:

Checking tgamma with newlib-4.4.0.20231231
tgamma 0 -1 -0x1.13a5ccd87c9bbp+1008 [-nan] [inf] inf inf
libm gives inf
mpfr gives -nan

This issue was present in earlier versions of Newlib, but we only found it
recently since we improved our testing framework.

Paul

* Re: Fw: issue with tgamma
       [not found] ` <BN2P110MB154427B901AD06FB47A831F59A66A@BN2P110MB1544.NAMP110.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>
@ 2024-01-05 17:34   ` C Howland
From: C Howland @ 2024-01-05 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I discovered the following issue with tgamma: for
> x=-0x1.13a5ccd87c9bbp+1008
> it yields +Inf instead of NaN:
>
> Checking tgamma with newlib-4.4.0.20231231
> tgamma 0 -1 -0x1.13a5ccd87c9bbp+1008 [-nan] [inf] inf inf
> libm gives inf
> mpfr gives -nan
>
> This issue was present in earlier versions of Newlib, but we only found it
> recently since we improved our testing framework.
>
> Paul
>
>      This strictly is OK, as the standards allow either a range or domain
error for negative integers, and domain errors may return an
implementation-defined value.   It most likely has been this way since the
1993 date in the source file, which includes
 *   5. Special Cases
 *              lgamma(2+s) ~ s*(1-Euler) for tiny s
 *              lgamma(1)=lgamma(2)=0
 *              lgamma(x) ~ -log(x) for tiny x
 *              lgamma(0) = lgamma(inf) = inf
 *              lgamma(-integer) = +-inf
(The tgamma function ends up using the lgamma function.)
     POSIX does have an implied preference of sorts for the NaN return, so
changing it could possibly be considered a small improvement even if not
necessary--although it is strange that they define the result for argument
0 differently, calling for INF there, seems inconsistent.
     (It's somewhat interesting that the MPFR return value you show is
-NaN.  I suppose they chose that to help reflect it being due to a negative
argument.)
                         Craig

* Re: Fw: issue with tgamma
@ 2024-01-08 14:45     ` Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2024-01-08 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C Howland; +Cc: newlib

       Hi Craig,

you are perfectly right. I'll have to adapt our testing framework.
However, does Newlib yield a domain or range error? I cannot test,
since I have to provide a fake errno to be able to compile my program
with Newlib's libm.a.

Paul