* Fwd: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <1466317487.25269.ezmlm-warn@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2016-06-21 17:59 ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2016-06-21 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I got the following interesting failure message from ezmlm.
Apparently it was trying to send me an e-mail (via the gcc-patches
mailing list) that contained more than 1,000 characters ...

Kind regards,
Toon Moene.

Date: 7 Jun 2016 09:28:49 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: gcc-patches-return-429184-@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.

<toon@moene.org>:
User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
<toon@moene.org> 80.101.130.238 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 maximum allowed line length is 998 octets, got 1525

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2016-06-21 18:19   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2016-06-21 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: overseers

Hi, Toon -

> I got the following interesting failure message from ezmlm.
> [...]
> <toon@moene.org>:
> User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
> <toon@moene.org> 80.101.130.238 failed after I sent the message.
> Remote host said: 550 maximum allowed line length is 998 octets, got 1525

This line length limit is being enforced by your own exim mail server.
Can you identify one of the messages on the archive perhaps, so we can
find out which line(s) were too long?  This may be an
overly-conservative exim configuration or some other problem.

- FChE

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2016-06-21 19:05     ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2016-06-21 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

On 06/21/2016 08:19 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi, Toon -
>
>> I got the following interesting failure message from ezmlm.
>> [...]
>> <toon@moene.org>:
>> User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
>> <toon@moene.org> 80.101.130.238 failed after I sent the message.
>> Remote host said: 550 maximum allowed line length is 998 octets, got 1525
>
> This line length limit is being enforced by your own exim mail server.
> Can you identify one of the messages on the archive perhaps, so we can
> find out which line(s) were too long?  This may be an
> overly-conservative exim configuration or some other problem.

That's a bit hard to do, as ezmlm only gives me internal numbers (they
are in my original message) and I see no way to correlate them with the
archived messages ...

I thought the 550 message was related to a restriction imposed by an RFC
newer than 822, but it could indeed be exim being too conservative.

If I am the only one with this complaint, just ignore it (although
everyone running Debian testing would encounter this problem).

Kind regards,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2018-06-02  1:45     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2018-06-02  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 02:12:24AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:
>All,
>
>for quite some time I've been getting one of these every once in a while.
>Perhaps after some email system change over here, but see below.

Please send email problems to postmaster.

This is not a problem however.  sourceware is telling you tha your email
system bounced something back to us.  It might have been spam that wasn't
caught at sourceware but was caught on your end.

Everybody gets these.

* Fwd: ezmlm warning
       [not found] ` <5B03BF0C02000078001308E0@prv1-mh.provo.novell.com>
@ 2018-06-01  8:12   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-06-01  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

@ 2018-05-30 16:07   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2018-05-30 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyg Simple; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:43:27AM -0400, cyg Simple wrote:

>The below is a result of some attachment that was considered to be
>vulnerable by my mail service.  Is there anything possible to do with
>the filter sending these warnings?

Someone sent uncaught spam to the mailing list.  We can't block .gz
attachments for hopefully obvious reasons.

You just get those from time to time.

<losing-battle>Btw, email complaints don't go to overseers.  They go to
postmaster.</losing-battle>

* Fwd: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <1527642279.77228.ezmlm-warn@cygwin.com>
@ 2018-05-30 15:43 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-05-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Date: 18 May 2018 09:25:34 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: cygwin-return-212575-@cygwin.com

<cygsimple@gmail.com> 173.194.202.26 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 552-5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content
presents a potential
552-5.7.0 security issue. Please visit
552-5.7.0  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage to review our
552 5.7.0 message content and attachment content guidelines.
f8-v6si3840726pgr.139 - gsmtp

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2014-10-09  0:51   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-10-09  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Espíndola; +Cc: overseers

Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola@gmail.com> writes:

> This looks like the same issues we had some time ago in the LLVM lists:
>
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2014-May/072967.html

There are no reasonable actions that we can take.  Yahoo! has chosen to
break mailing lists.

Perhaps we should simply ban @yahoo.com addresses.

Ian

> Messages to you from the gcc mailing list seem to
> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
> message I received.
>
> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
> I will remove your address from the gcc mailing list,
> without further notice.
>

> I've kept a list of which messages from the gcc mailing list have
> bounced from your address.
>
> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
> send an empty message to:
>    <gcc-get.123_145@gcc.gnu.org>
>
> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
> send an empty message to:
>    <gcc-index@gcc.gnu.org>
>
> Here are the message numbers:
>
>    184984
>    185030
>    185061
>
> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

> Date: 26 Sep 2014 01:36:24 -0000
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
> To: gcc-return-184984-@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: failure notice
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <rafael.espindola@gmail.com>:
> User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
> <rafael.espindola@gmail.com> 173.194.79.26 failed after I sent the message.
> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is
> not accepted due to domain's
> 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact administrator of yahoo.com domain if
> 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
> 550-5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about DMARC
> 550 5.7.1 initiative. ew4si810254pdb.247 - gsmtp

* Fwd: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <1412716173.8985.ezmlm-warn@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-08 17:23 ` Rafael Espíndola
From: Rafael Espíndola @ 2014-10-08 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Date: 26 Sep 2014 01:36:24 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: gcc-return-184984-@gcc.gnu.org

       [not found] <1401363865.26537.ezmlm-warn@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2014-05-29 13:34 ` Rafael Espíndola
From: Rafael Espíndola @ 2014-05-29 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

There was something similar going on the llvm and clang lists. The
explanation of what was going on in here

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2014-May/037022.html

I am not sure if that is the same thing, but it sure looks similar.

Messages to you from the gcc mailing list seem to
message I received.

I will remove your address from the gcc mailing list,
without further notice.

I've kept a list of which messages from the gcc mailing list have
bounced from your address.

send an empty message to:
   <gcc-get.123_145@gcc.gnu.org>

send an empty message to:
   <gcc-index@gcc.gnu.org>

Here are the message numbers:

   183359
   183358
   183431
   183446

Date: 17 May 2014 15:12:54 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: gcc-return-183359-@gcc.gnu.org

<rafael.espindola@gmail.com>:
User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
<rafael.espindola@gmail.com> 173.194.79.26 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 [209.132.180.131       1] Our system has
detected an unusual rate of
550-5.7.1 unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our
550-5.7.1 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been blocked.
550-5.7.1 Please visit
550-5.7.1 http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html to review our Bulk
550 5.7.1 Email Senders Guidelines. wh4si4653110pbc.47 - gsmtp

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2014-05-22 17:15       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-05-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: overseers

Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
>> Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> This is the second email about the whole bulk email bounces.  Can
>>> someone look into what it would take to make sure gmail does not
>>> bounce the emails?
>>
>> I've asked Google internally what is going on.  No answer as yet.
>>
>> I think the most likely cause of this would be people marking e-mail
>> sent from gcc.gnu.org/sourceware.org as spam, but I don't know why they
>> would be doing that.
>
> Could it also be there was some spam that went through but then some
> folks decided to mark that one piece as spam?

My understanding is that it would take more than one piece of spam to
change the reputation of the machine.  Lots more.

Ian

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2014-05-22  4:33     ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2014-05-22  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Andrew Pinski

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
> Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This is the second email about the whole bulk email bounces.  Can
>> someone look into what it would take to make sure gmail does not
>> bounce the emails?
>
> I've asked Google internally what is going on.  No answer as yet.
>
> I think the most likely cause of this would be people marking e-mail
> sent from gcc.gnu.org/sourceware.org as spam, but I don't know why they
> would be doing that.

Could it also be there was some spam that went through but then some
folks decided to mark that one piece as spam?

Thanks,
Andrew

> Ian

>> Messages to you from the binutils mailing list seem to
>> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
>> message I received.
>>
>> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
>> I will remove your address from the binutils mailing list,
>> without further notice.
>>

>> I've kept a list of which messages from the binutils mailing list have
>> bounced from your address.
>>
>> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
>> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
>> send an empty message to:
>>    <binutils-get.123_145@sourceware.org>
>>
>> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
>> send an empty message to:
>>    <binutils-index@sourceware.org>
>>
>> Here are the message numbers:
>>
>>    83669
>>    83671
>>    83672
>>    83674
>>
>> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

>> Date: 9 May 2014 19:38:30 -0000
>> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
>> To: binutils-return-83669-@sourceware.org
>> Subject: failure notice
>>
>> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
>> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>> This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
>>
>> <pinskia@gmail.com>:
>> User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
>> <pinskia@gmail.com> 74.125.129.27 failed after I sent the message.
>> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 [209.132.180.131       1] Our system has
>> detected an unusual rate of
>> 550-5.7.1 unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our
>> 550-5.7.1 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been blocked.
>> 550-5.7.1 Please visit
>> 550-5.7.1 http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html to review our Bulk
>> 550 5.7.1 Email Senders Guidelines. ko6si968474pbc.313 - gsmtp

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2014-05-22  4:22   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-05-22  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: overseers

       [not found] <1400704936.25937.ezmlm-warn@sourceware.org>
@ 2014-05-21 20:46 ` Andrew Pinski

Date: 9 May 2014 19:38:30 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: binutils-return-83669-@sourceware.org

@ 2014-04-23 15:44   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-04-23 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: overseers

Hi, Mike -

> So, likely you guys already know about dmarc [...]
> So, out of curiosity, did you?  I looked now, and I see it isn’t on.

Nope, but we do have an SPF & DKIM record in DNS and sign outgoing
mail with DKIM.

> I’ve checked lots of my old email for dkim=fail, and I see all
> bugzilla email fails dkim.  The latest failure was on March 31,
> 2014.

It'd be handy if you could find a couple of raw message URLs in the
archives for analysis.

> > Remote host said: 550 5.2.0 nhW41n0182qVqVd0DhW4cN Message rejected due to DMARC. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#DM000001

Yeah, not enough information there.

- FChE

* Fwd: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <1398055301.29540.ezmlm-warn@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-23 11:07 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2014-04-23 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

So, likely you guys already know about dmarc and some folks are turning it on…  So, it looks like comcast thought you guys turned it on, and enabled rejects.

So, out of curiosity, did you?  I looked now, and I see it isn’t on.

I’ve checked lots of my old email for dkim=fail, and I see all bugzilla email fails dkim.  The latest failure was on March 31, 2014.

Begin forwarded message:

@ 2012-06-07 17:30     ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2012-06-07 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, carlos

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
>> Is there any way I can track down the root cause?
>
> I don't know.  This error means that some DNS server in the chain
> responded to the request but failed to supply any information.  This
> could be the nameservers for systemhalted.org (at dotster.com), or the
> ones for your MX record, mx.mailix.net (at idirections.com).
> Unfortunately our DNS logs cover less than 24 hours these days, and you
> aren't going to get the failure notice in time for us to see anything.

Thanks Ian.

I'd been putting off switching to a more reputable service provide and
I guess now's the time.

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2012-06-07 17:26   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-06-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: overseers

"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> writes:

> I've been getting a lot of these transient failures lately.
>
> I consider it pretty odd that my provider (Dotster.com) would not have
> a mail exchanger or IP address in place for the MX for
> @systemhalted.org.
>
> Has anything been going on with sourceware.org that might cause this problem?

No.

> Is there any way I can track down the root cause?

I don't know.  This error means that some DNS server in the chain
responded to the request but failed to supply any information.  This
could be the nameservers for systemhalted.org (at dotster.com), or the
ones for your MX record, mx.mailix.net (at idirections.com).
Unfortunately our DNS logs cover less than 24 hours these days, and you
aren't going to get the failure notice in time for us to see anything.

Ian

> Messages to you from the libc-ports mailing list seem to
> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
> message I received.
>
> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
> I will remove your address from the libc-ports mailing list,
> without further notice.
>

> I've kept a list of which messages from the libc-ports mailing list have
> bounced from your address.
>
> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
> send an empty message to:
>   <libc-ports-get.123_145@sourceware.org>
>
> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
> send an empty message to:
>   <libc-ports-index@sourceware.org>
>
> Here are the message numbers:
>
>   2725
>   2789
>
> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

> Date: 25 May 2012 22:42:21 -0000
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
> To: libc-ports-return-2725-@sourceware.org
> Subject: failure notice
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <carlos@systemhalted.org>:
> Sorry, I couldn't find a mail exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4)

* Fwd: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <1339019553.7040.ezmlm-warn@sourceware.org>
@ 2012-06-07 15:46 ` Carlos O'Donell

Date: 25 May 2012 22:42:21 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: libc-ports-return-2725-@sourceware.org

       [not found] <1135295913.25615.ezmlm-warn@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-24  0:48 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-12-24  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I'm sure you've seen these before, it's baack...

Begin forwarded message:

> From: gcc-patches-help@gcc.gnu.org
> Date: December 22, 2005 3:58:33 PM PST
> To: mrs@apple.com
> Subject: ezmlm warning

> gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org mailing list.

> <mrs@apple.com>:
> SMTP cannot transfer messages with partial final lines. (#5.6.2)

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2005-12-14  2:28   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-12-14  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: overseers

Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:

> It appears that sourceware uses qmail to forward on email and that
> something before qmail on sourceware stripped out the ending newline
> on the email before having fed it to qmail.  This appears to be an
> internal to sourceware problem.
>
> Unfortunately there aren't enough details in the below to be sure.
>
> Do this look familiar to anyone?  Do others agree?  I'm I wrong, is
> it post sourceware?

You are correct that the problem must be internal to sourceware.  We
suspect that it has been fixed, but we are keeping an eye on it.

Thanks for reporting it.

Ian

* Fwd: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <1134362992.10249.ezmlm-warn@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-14  0:44 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-12-14  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

It appears that sourceware uses qmail to forward on email and that
something before qmail on sourceware stripped out the ending newline
on the email before having fed it to qmail.  This appears to be an
internal to sourceware problem.

Unfortunately there aren't enough details in the below to be sure.

Do this look familiar to anyone?  Do others agree?  I'm I wrong, is
it post sourceware?

?

Begin forwarded message:

@ 2005-12-12 22:37 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-12-12 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron W. LaFramboise; +Cc: overseers

"Aaron W. LaFramboise" <aaronavay62@aaronwl.com> writes:

> Hello.  I got this weird message from gcc-help ezmlm today.  Does this
> indicate a problem with my mail, or can I ignore it?

You can ignore it.

Ian

* Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2005-12-12 17:57 Aaron W. LaFramboise
From: Aaron W. LaFramboise @ 2005-12-12 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hello.  I got this weird message from gcc-help ezmlm today.  Does this
indicate a problem with my mail, or can I ignore it?

[-- Attachment #2: ezmlm warning --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2254 bytes --]

From: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
To: aaronavay62@aaronwl.com
Date: 12 Dec 2005 04:50:04 -0000

gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list.