* Phone call about e-mail spam
@ 2007-01-06  1:50 Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-01-06  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I just got a phone call from somebody who said he was the new owner of
rainypasslodge.com.  He was concerned because when you search for
"rainypasslodge.com" in Google, the second highest entry is a spam
e-mail message on sourceware.org:
    http://sourceware.org/ml/bug-gnats/2005-01/msg00004.html
And for that matter the next 20 entries are all similar rants.

My caller (whose name I forget) said he first called the FBI, and they
evidently got my name and phone number from WHOIS.  Who says the FBI
don't know how to use computers?

I suggested that he send an e-mail to overseers@sourceware.org, but he
explained that he didn't want to connect his computer to a site which
hosted messages like that.  And we all know how risky that is.

He asked me how to get rid of the other top Google results, but
fortunately he didn't know where I work, so I could reasonably (and
truthfully) say that I didn't know.

Anyhow, since we are planning to get rid of those old archives anyhow,
I said that I would take care of this.  Unless CGF beats me to it.

Ian

* Re: Phone call about e-mail spam
@ 2007-01-06  1:55 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-01-06  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 05:49:46PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>I just got a phone call from somebody who said he was the new owner of
>rainypasslodge.com.  He was concerned because when you search for
>"rainypasslodge.com" in Google, the second highest entry is a spam
>e-mail message on sourceware.org:
>    http://sourceware.org/ml/bug-gnats/2005-01/msg00004.html
>And for that matter the next 20 entries are all similar rants.
>
>My caller (whose name I forget) said he first called the FBI, and they
>evidently got my name and phone number from WHOIS.  Who says the FBI
>don't know how to use computers?
>
>I suggested that he send an e-mail to overseers@sourceware.org, but he
>explained that he didn't want to connect his computer to a site which
>hosted messages like that.  And we all know how risky that is.
>
>He asked me how to get rid of the other top Google results, but
>fortunately he didn't know where I work, so I could reasonably (and
>truthfully) say that I didn't know.
>
>Anyhow, since we are planning to get rid of those old archives anyhow,
>I said that I would take care of this.  Unless CGF beats me to it.

Deleting the archives is no problem.  I was going to look into
unsubscribing sourceware from the gnu mailing lists but maybe that isn't
necessary?  I guess we could start bouncing them and maybe the GNU
mailing list software would automatically unsubscribe us eventually?

What I don't understand is why we're ranked higher than the FSF
archives.  I'd do some research on that but now Ian has made me
reluctant to connect to google since it is filled with all of "those"
sorts of people.

cgf

* Re: Phone call about e-mail spam
@ 2007-01-06  2:19   ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2007-01-06  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

> >Anyhow, since we are planning to get rid of those old archives anyhow,
> >I said that I would take care of this.  Unless CGF beats me to it.
>
> Deleting the archives is no problem.  I was going to look into
> unsubscribing sourceware from the gnu mailing lists but maybe that isn't
> necessary?  I guess we could start bouncing them and maybe the GNU
> mailing list software would automatically unsubscribe us eventually?
>
> What I don't understand is why we're ranked higher than the FSF
> archives.  I'd do some research on that but now Ian has made me
> reluctant to connect to google since it is filled with all of "those"
> sorts of people.

ugh, you mean carnies. They stink like cabbage.

--
Matthew Galgoci
GIS Production Operations

* Re: Phone call about e-mail spam
@ 2007-01-06  5:53   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-01-06  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 08:55:46PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 05:49:46PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>>I just got a phone call from somebody who said he was the new owner of
>>rainypasslodge.com.  He was concerned because when you search for
>>"rainypasslodge.com" in Google, the second highest entry is a spam
>>e-mail message on sourceware.org:
>>    http://sourceware.org/ml/bug-gnats/2005-01/msg00004.html
>>And for that matter the next 20 entries are all similar rants.
>>
>>My caller (whose name I forget) said he first called the FBI, and they
>>evidently got my name and phone number from WHOIS.  Who says the FBI
>>don't know how to use computers?
>>
>>I suggested that he send an e-mail to overseers@sourceware.org, but he
>>explained that he didn't want to connect his computer to a site which
>>hosted messages like that.  And we all know how risky that is.
>>
>>He asked me how to get rid of the other top Google results, but
>>fortunately he didn't know where I work, so I could reasonably (and
>>truthfully) say that I didn't know.
>>
>>Anyhow, since we are planning to get rid of those old archives anyhow,
>>I said that I would take care of this.  Unless CGF beats me to it.
>
>Deleting the archives is no problem.  I was going to look into
>unsubscribing sourceware from the gnu mailing lists but maybe that isn't
>necessary?  I guess we could start bouncing them and maybe the GNU
>mailing list software would automatically unsubscribe us eventually?
>
>What I don't understand is why we're ranked higher than the FSF
>archives.  I'd do some research on that but now Ian has made me
>reluctant to connect to google since it is filled with all of "those"
>sorts of people.

I've moved all of the bug-* archives into /export/u0/deleteme-bug and
I've moved all of the list forwarders to /qmail/listarch/badbug .

Your children can now rest easy.  The internet is safe.

Btw, there were 63099 files that were effectively deleted.  My going
rate is $20 per file to perform this highly technical service so the
internet owes me a lot of money.

cgf

* Re: Phone call about e-mail spam
@ 2007-01-06  6:04     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-01-06  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

> I've moved all of the bug-* archives into /export/u0/deleteme-bug and
> I've moved all of the list forwarders to /qmail/listarch/badbug .

Cool, thanks.

> Btw, there were 63099 files that were effectively deleted.  My going
> rate is $20 per file to perform this highly technical service so the
> internet owes me a lot of money.

Your check is being e-mailed to you as I write.

@ 2007-01-06  6:16     ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2007-01-06  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 00:53 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Btw, there were 63099 files that were effectively deleted.  My going
> rate is $20 per file to perform this highly technical service so the
> internet owes me a lot of money.

Do you accept that in drinks?  If so 10 drinks per day for 40 years will
work.

-- Pinski