* sourceware hosting for elfutils
@ 2016-12-12 10:34 Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2016-12-12 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

elfutils is a Free Software project providing libraries and tools for
handling ELF files and DWARF data. It is currently hosted at
https://fedorahosted.org/elfutils/ But fedorahosted is shutting down
some services next year. So we are looking for a new home. And we were
hoping sourceware could host us.

The project has one git repository, a handful of more or less active
developers with direct git push access (most already having a sourceware
account), one mailinglist and a not very much used wiki with less than
10 pages. We try to do releases every couple of months (3 or 4 a year).
All sources are distributed under the GPLv2+/LGPLv3+ dual license or
plain GPLv3+.

Our project needs are fairly modest. We do have the elfutils.org domain
(which is currently unused) that could be used for virtual hosting.

We would need:

- A public git repository with commit access for a handful developers.
The current one is: https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/elfutils.git
Various old committers are no longer active, so I expect only ~5 hackers
to wanting commit access. There are occasional new developers needing
commit access, but I don't expect there to be more than 1 or 2 a year.
The current CONTRIBUTING guide explains how to contribute and how/when
one can get commit access (and which responsibilities that gives):
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/elfutils.git/plain/CONTRIBUTING

- A mailinglist elfutils-devel that is open for posting by anybody
(possibly moderating posts by non-subscribers). The current one is:
https://lists.fedorahosted.org/admin/lists/elfutils-devel.lists.fedorahosted.org/
If there is a way to import old archives and subscribers that would be
nice.

- A place to host releases (ideally all maintainers with git commit
access can also upload new releases, but we can designate a specific
release master). The current releases are hosted at:
https://fedorahosted.org/releases/e/l/elfutils/
To keep history it would be nice if the existing ones could be mirrored.

- A public webpage backed by some wiki setup. The number of pages is so
small and simple that I expect they will be transferred by hand. So any
wiki or system to put files in place for some simple webpages will do.
Ideally people with git commit access will also be able to update those
web/wiki pages. But since there are probably not many we can handle any
other access system. We don't need/want a public changeable wiki.

- A bugzilla product/module to collect bugs in. We currently (ab)use the
Fedora project/package bugdatabase, which is not ideal (unclear what are
upstream and fedora package bugs).
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&component=elfutils
There are currently ~15 bugs that can be considered open/upstream which
we can add to a new bugzilla component by hand (we might even close
some).

- If possible one or two mailinglist (elfutils-commits/elfutils-bugs)
that get emails for git commits, bug creation/modifications, webpage
changes, release uploads etc. Or maybe redirect those messages to the
main mailinglist since the activity will be modest and should not
overwhelm developers actively following the project.

We hope we could setup a new home at a new location this month, then do
a new elfutils release from the old home, with all documentation updated
to point to the new home and afterwards start using the new location and
in the new year redirect everything officially to the new home.

Please let me know if the above would be possible, on what conditions,
and if we can do something back for sourceware.

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: sourceware hosting for elfutils
@ 2016-12-22  0:50 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2016-12-22  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard, elfutils-devel; +Cc: overseers, elfutils-devel

Hi, Mark -

Thanks for your patience.

> We would need:
>
> - A public git repository with commit access for a handful developers.
> The current one is: https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/elfutils.git
> [...]

OK, this has been mirrored to
{ssh,git}://sourceware.org/git/elfutils.git Usual sourceware
userid/request policy to add other committers.

> - A mailinglist elfutils-devel that is open for posting by anybody
> [...]

All set, cc:'d.

> https://lists.fedorahosted.org/admin/lists/elfutils-devel.lists.fedorahosted.org/
> If there is a way to import old archives and subscribers that would be
> nice.

Sort of done, but had to be undone because the old fedora mbox
archives were not spam-filtered.  Will have to see if a spam filtering
run during mhonarc import are feasible.  This can be done later,
nonconflicting.

> - A place to host releases (ideally all maintainers with git commit
> access can also upload new releases, but we can designate a specific
> release master). The current releases are hosted at:
> https://fedorahosted.org/releases/e/l/elfutils/
> To keep history it would be nice if the existing ones could be mirrored.

Done, ftp://sourceware.org/pub/elfutils and http://sourceware.org/elfutils/ftp/
point to a directory you can use, with those old archives all imported.

> - A public webpage backed by some wiki setup. [...]

Not a wiki, but how a simple git-backed HTML repo for now?
{git,ssh}://sourceware.org/git/elfutils-htdocs.git

> - A bugzilla product/module to collect bugs in. [...]

Getting this set up as we speak.

> - If possible one or two mailinglist (elfutils-commits/elfutils-bugs)
> that get emails for git commits, bug creation/modifications [etc.]

How about this, only later on?

- FChE

* Re: sourceware hosting for elfutils
@ 2016-12-22 13:13   ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2016-12-22 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: elfutils-devel, overseers, elfutils-devel

On Wed, 2016-12-21 at 19:49 -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for setting it up!

I'll adjust the project files to point to our new sourceware home and do
a 0.168 release soon to celebrate. That will be our last release from
fedorahosted after which we will only use sourceware as our new base of
operations.

> > We would need:
> >
> > - A public git repository with commit access for a handful developers.
> > The current one is: https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/elfutils.git
> > [...]
>
> OK, this has been mirrored to
> {ssh,git}://sourceware.org/git/elfutils.git Usual sourceware
> userid/request policy to add other committers.

Great. I'll add a pointer to
https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/pdw/ps_form.cgi to our CONTRIBUTING
guide.

> > - A mailinglist elfutils-devel that is open for posting by anybody
> > [...]
>
> All set, cc:'d.

I don't see it listed at https://sourceware.org/lists.html but I assume
people can use https://sourceware.org/lists.html#ml-requestor to get
subscribed and/or use elfutils-devel-subscribe@sourceware.org

If I give you the current subscriber list of fedorahosted elfutils-devel
could we mass subscribe everybody to the new list? There are about 100
people on the list.

> > https://lists.fedorahosted.org/admin/lists/elfutils-devel.lists.fedorahosted.org/
> > If there is a way to import old archives and subscribers that would be
> > nice.
>
> Sort of done, but had to be undone because the old fedora mbox
> archives were not spam-filtered.  Will have to see if a spam filtering
> run during mhonarc import are feasible.  This can be done later,
> nonconflicting.

Sorry about that. I can try to create a spam free mbox by running
everything through spamassassin first and removing everything marked if
that is helpful.

> > - A place to host releases (ideally all maintainers with git commit
> > access can also upload new releases, but we can designate a specific
> > release master). The current releases are hosted at:
> > https://fedorahosted.org/releases/e/l/elfutils/
> > To keep history it would be nice if the existing ones could be mirrored.
>
> Done, ftp://sourceware.org/pub/elfutils and http://sourceware.org/elfutils/ftp/
> point to a directory you can use, with those old archives all imported.

Awesome. What is the official way to upload new releases there?

> > - A public webpage backed by some wiki setup. [...]
>
> Not a wiki, but how a simple git-backed HTML repo for now?
> {git,ssh}://sourceware.org/git/elfutils-htdocs.git

That is perfect.
I will populate it with something that we will call our homepage.

> > - A bugzilla product/module to collect bugs in. [...]
>
> Getting this set up as we speak.

Thanks. I see elfutils as product now in https://sourceware.org/bugzilla
Could we get as components libelf, libdw, libasm, backends, tools and
general/unknown?

I'll manually add the existing bugs later (there aren't that many).

> > - If possible one or two mailinglist (elfutils-commits/elfutils-bugs)
> > that get emails for git commits, bug creation/modifications [etc.]
>
> How about this, only later on?

It is nice to have all project activity discoverable through
mailinglists. If easier just redirect it to the main elfutils-devel
list. I don't expect there to be that much traffic to overwhelm the
list.

@ 2016-12-22 14:05     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2016-12-22 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: elfutils-devel, overseers, elfutils-devel

Hi, Mark -

> > > - A mailinglist elfutils-devel that is open for posting by anybody
>
> I don't see it listed at https://sourceware.org/lists.html [...]

Is now.

> If I give you the current subscriber list of fedorahosted elfutils-devel
> could we mass subscribe everybody to the new list? There are about 100
> people on the list.

Yes.

> > Sort of done, but had to be undone because the old fedora mbox
> > archives were not spam-filtered.  [...]
>
> Sorry about that. I can try to create a spam free mbox by running
> everything through spamassassin first and removing everything marked if
> that is helpful.

Sure.

> > [...]
> > Done, ftp://sourceware.org/pub/elfutils and http://sourceware.org/elfutils/ftp/> > point to a directory you can use, with those old archives all imported.
>
> Awesome. What is the official way to upload new releases there?

Log onto sourceware and deposit files under /sourceware/ftp/pub/elfutils/ .

> [...]
> Thanks. I see elfutils as product now in https://sourceware.org/bugzilla
> Could we get as components libelf, libdw, libasm, backends, tools and
> general/unknown?

Done.

> > > that get emails for git commits, bug creation/modifications [etc.]
> [...]

OK, will look into this soon.

- FChE

* Re: sourceware hosting for elfutils
@ 2016-12-29 16:12     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2016-12-29 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

The elfutils move to sourceware seems to be going pretty
smoothly. Thanks. People are already filing issues at the new
bugzilla elfutils product. Could the default CC email address
for the elfutils components to be set to the mailing list
address elfutils-devel@sourceware.org, so that the list gets
copied on all the bugs and attached comments?

Thanks,

Mark