* /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build: Command not found
@ 2020-03-14 22:46 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-03-14 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: David Malcolm

The crontab of the gccadmin account invokes
  /home/gccadmin/scripts/update_web_docs_git
once a day.

Presumably since the migration this has been failing as follows:

  Output written on libiberty.pdf (52 pages, 356199 bytes).
  Transcript written on libiberty.log.
  /tmp/gcc-doc-update.43504/gcc/gcc/jit/docs /tmp/gcc-doc-update.43504
  /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build -b html -d _build/doctrees   . _build/html
  make: /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build: Command not found
  make: *** [Makefile:45: html] Error 127
  /tmp/gcc-doc-update.43504
  cp: cannot stat 'gcc/gcc/jit/docs/_build/html': No such file or directory

The script currently has the following comment:

  # The jit is a special-case, using sphinx rather than texinfo.
  # Specifically, the jit docs need sphinx 1.0 or later.
  #
  # The jit/docs Makefile uses the executable $(SPHINXBUILD),
  # defaulting to "sphinx-build".
  #
  # sphinx is packaged in Fedora and EPEL 6 within "python-sphinx",
  # and in openSUSE within "python-Sphinx".
  #
  # For EPEL6, python-sphinx is sphinx 0.6.6, which is missing various
  # directives (e.g. ":c:macro:"), so we need the variant
  # python-sphinx10 package.  The latter installs its executable as
  #   /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build
  # so we need to override SPHINXBUILD with this when invoking "make".

David (copied) contributed this piece, so may be able to help with
any questions.

Gerald

* Re: /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build: Command not found
@ 2020-03-15  1:46 ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2020-03-15  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers; +Cc: jakub

On Sat, 2020-03-14 at 23:46 +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> The crontab of the gccadmin account invokes
>   /home/gccadmin/scripts/update_web_docs_git
> once a day.
>
> Presumably since the migration this has been failing as follows:
>
>   Output written on libiberty.pdf (52 pages, 356199 bytes).
>   Transcript written on libiberty.log.
>   /tmp/gcc-doc-update.43504/gcc/gcc/jit/docs /tmp/gcc-doc-
> update.43504
>   /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build -b html -d _build/doctrees   .
> _build/html
>   make: /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build: Command not found
>   make: *** [Makefile:45: html] Error 127
>   /tmp/gcc-doc-update.43504
>   cp: cannot stat 'gcc/gcc/jit/docs/_build/html': No such file or
> directory
>
> The script currently has the following comment:
>
>   # The jit is a special-case, using sphinx rather than texinfo.
>   # Specifically, the jit docs need sphinx 1.0 or later.
>   #
>   # The jit/docs Makefile uses the executable $(SPHINXBUILD),
>   # defaulting to "sphinx-build".
>   #
>   # sphinx is packaged in Fedora and EPEL 6 within "python-sphinx",
>   # and in openSUSE within "python-Sphinx".
>   #
>   # For EPEL6, python-sphinx is sphinx 0.6.6, which is missing
> various
>   # directives (e.g. ":c:macro:"), so we need the variant
>   # python-sphinx10 package.  The latter installs its executable as
>   #   /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build
>   # so we need to override SPHINXBUILD with this when invoking
> "make".
>
> David (copied) contributed this piece, so may be able to help with
> any questions.

[CCing Jakub]

Jakub committed a patch for this on Thursday to the gcc repository:

https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commitdiff;h=a0ae4cbe9d1430b32f674b862a6d8dce0ed81f2a

which I believe ought to fix it (assuming the box in question is now
running RHEL 8).

The mailing list discussion was here:
  https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-March/541922.html

Does the updated script need to be copied over somewhere?

Dave

* Re: /usr/bin/sphinx-1.0-build: Command not found
@ 2020-03-15  8:55   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-03-15  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm; +Cc: overseers, Jakub Jelinek

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020, David Malcolm wrote:
> [CCing Jakub]
>
> Jakub committed a patch for this on Thursday to the gcc repository:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commitdiff;h=a0ae4cbe9d1430b32f674b862a6d8dce0ed81f2a
>
> which I believe ought to fix it (assuming the box in question is now
> running RHEL 8).

Yes, last night I then noticed that the script on gcc.gnu.org had not
been updated - alas my follow-up mail got stuck.

I updated the script in the gccadmin account and ran it again -
successfully this time.

And I will also make the script itself a bit more resilient.

Thanks,

@ 2020-03-15 14:27     ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2020-03-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers, Jakub Jelinek

On Sun, 2020-03-15 at 09:55 +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2020, David Malcolm wrote:
> > [CCing Jakub]
> >
> > Jakub committed a patch for this on Thursday to the gcc repository:
> >
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commitdiff;h=a0ae4cbe9d1430b32f674b862a6d8dce0ed81f2a
> >
> > which I believe ought to fix it (assuming the box in question is
> > now
> > running RHEL 8).
>
> Yes, last night I then noticed that the script on gcc.gnu.org had
> not
> been updated - alas my follow-up mail got stuck.
>
> I updated the script in the gccadmin account and ran it again -
> successfully this time.

Excellent - thanks, Gerald and Jakub.

> And I will also make the script itself a bit more resilient.
>
> Thanks,
> Gerald

Dave