* cygwin-packages gitweb to cgit rewrite
@ 2024-02-07 23:38 Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2024-02-07 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, overseers, Corinna Vinschen

Hi,

Jon noticed that there are links to the cygwin-packages gitweb
overview pages, which are horribly slow to load.

For now I redirected https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ and
https://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/ to
https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/

This is just for the overview pages. All other subpages (and git
repos) are still accessible.

Rewriting those using Arsen's script [*] is a little tricky, unless we
rewrite all cygwin/sourceware/gcc gitweb urls.

Please yell and scream if I broke something.

Cheers,

Mark

[*] https://git.sr.ht/~arsen/cgitweb/tree

* Re: cygwin-packages gitweb to cgit rewrite
@ 2024-02-08  9:27 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2024-02-08  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Jon Turney

[please don't CC me, I'm subscribed to overseers anyway. Thanks!]

On Feb  8 00:38, Mark Wielaard via Overseers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jon noticed that there are links to the cygwin-packages gitweb
> overview pages, which are horribly slow to load.
>
> For now I redirected https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ and
> https://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/ to
> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/
>
> This is just for the overview pages. All other subpages (and git
> repos) are still accessible.
>
> Rewriting those using Arsen's script [*] is a little tricky, unless we
> rewrite all cygwin/sourceware/gcc gitweb urls.
>
> Please yell and scream if I broke something.

Didn't we want to move sware to cgit anyway?  I think this is a good
move, given how much faster cgit works.  The Cygwin homepage points
to the cgit web pages for quite some time already, at least as far
as the newlib-cygwin repo is concerned.

Corinna

* Re: cygwin-packages gitweb to cgit rewrite
@ 2024-02-08 11:26   ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2024-02-08 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Jon Turney

Hi Corinna,

On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 10:27:32AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen via Overseers wrote:
> On Feb  8 00:38, Mark Wielaard via Overseers wrote:
> > For now I redirected https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ and
> > https://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/ to
> > https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/
> >
> > This is just for the overview pages. All other subpages (and git
> > repos) are still accessible.
> >
> > Rewriting those using Arsen's script [*] is a little tricky, unless we
> > rewrite all cygwin/sourceware/gcc gitweb urls.
> >
> > Please yell and scream if I broke something.
>
> Didn't we want to move sware to cgit anyway?  I think this is a good
> move, given how much faster cgit works.  The Cygwin homepage points
> to the cgit web pages for quite some time already, at least as far
> as the newlib-cygwin repo is concerned.

Yes, and we did "move", we now have https://cygwin.com/cgit
https://sourceware.org/cgit https://gcc.gnu.org/cgit and
https://git.dwarfstd.org

But the old links and https git transport backend still need to keep
working on the old gitweb /git/ locations.

I would love to "overlay" Arsen's script to rewrite all the old gitweb
URLs to cgit, but I haven't found a good way to do that in stages (so
e.g. just for cygwin-packages first). Because we multiplex our gitweb
calls through the /etc/gitweb.conf setup. We need to find a way to do
it through /etc/httpd/conf.d/gitweb.conf

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: cygwin-packages gitweb to cgit rewrite
@ 2024-02-08 11:36     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2024-02-08 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> [...]  I would love to "overlay" Arsen's script to rewrite all the
> old gitweb URLs to cgit, but I haven't found a good way to do that
> in stages (so e.g. just for cygwin-packages first). [...]

FWIW I'm more risk-averse and would prefer to hang onto traditional
/git/.  People who like new can use new; those who like old can use
old.

- FChE

* Re: cygwin-packages gitweb to cgit rewrite
@ 2024-02-08 19:42 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-02-08 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On 07/02/2024 23:38, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jon noticed that there are links to the cygwin-packages gitweb
> overview pages, which are horribly slow to load.
>
> For now I redirected https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ and
> https://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/ to
> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/
>
> This is just for the overview pages. All other subpages (and git
> repos) are still accessible.

Thanks!

I think that's fine, as that's the real pain point when the page takes
ages to load (while presumably grovelling over a load of repos on server2)

Most (if not all) of our documentation which says "browse git repo
at..." has been updated to point to cgit URLs.