* Re: System mailing lists on sourceware
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda
  Cc: Jeffrey A. Law, Tom Tromey, Jim Kingdon, Marc David Rovner, overseers

Jason> Yet more mailing lists to get on for the new maintainer(s) of
Jason> sourceware. :-)

Do we want a mailing list for all the maintainers?
For instance, the new-developer-required procedure says "send mail to
jsm@...".  Instead maybe there should be a list?

* Re: System mailing lists on sourceware
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crash; +Cc: law, tromey, mrovner, overseers

> There are a handful of standard addresses on sourceware/gcc that
> are actually mailing lists.  'root', 'mailer-daemon', 'gnats-admin',
> 'anonymous', 'root', 'webmaster' are all mailing lists.  Few receive much,
> if any, traffic.

Can we redirect these all to a single place (e.g. to
sourcemaster@cygnus.com?)?  Or make them bounce? (root?  anonymous? -
bounced mail is better than /dev/null which seems to be where things
are going now).

> for every mailing list on sourceware.

OK, I've added myself to this one.

As for discussions among maintainers, telling people things have
changed, &c, seems to me that overseers is probably the best place for
that.  Unless the volume gets high and/or project maintainers and the
like are looking for a list which is closer to an announce list.

* Re: System mailing lists on sourceware
@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Jason Molenda, Jim Kingdon, Marc David Rovner, overseers

  In message < 200002231945.LAA25850@ferrule.cygnus.com >you write:
  > Jason> Yet more mailing lists to get on for the new maintainer(s) of
  > Jason> sourceware. :-)
  >
  > Do we want a mailing list for all the maintainers?
  > For instance, the new-developer-required procedure says "send mail to
  > jsm@...".  Instead maybe there should be a list?
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me since we need an avenue to tell them
if/when we change things.

Or we could use overseers for that purpose until we see a real need to
separate out this stuff.

jeff

* System mailing lists on sourceware
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A. Law, Tom Tromey, Jim Kingdon, Marc David Rovner; +Cc: overseers

Yet more mailing lists to get on for the new maintainer(s) of sourceware. :-)

There are a handful of standard addresses on sourceware/gcc that
are actually mailing lists.  'root', 'mailer-daemon', 'gnats-admin',
'anonymous', 'root', 'webmaster' are all mailing lists.  Few receive much,
if any, traffic.

for every mailing list on sourceware.  This means that mail sent to
listname-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com will go to the postmaster list.
This mail is usually (a) someone wanting to get unsubscribed, or (b)
someone accidentally sending mail to the -owner addr instead of the list.
For (a), I silently unsub them, for (b) I ignore them.  Jeff Law, for (a),
instructs them in how to unsubscribe and makes them do it themselves.
Do whatever suits your style -- my approach is based on the idea that
it is probably less work to just unsub these people myself and forget
about them.