* cygwin-announce problems
@ 2000-05-10 19:36 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-10 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Can anyone tell me if there are some kind of problems with the cygwin mailing
list?  I tried to gateway the cygwin-announce list into the cygwin list but
I never see any cygwin-announce email in cygwin.

Are there any logs that would indicate if there are problems with this or
can anyone (i.e., Jason) tell me if this is just not going to work?

cgf

* Re: cygwin-announce problems
@ 2000-05-10 20:38   ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-05-10 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 10:36:18PM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if there are some kind of problems with the cygwin mailing
> list?  I tried to gateway the cygwin-announce list into the cygwin list but
> I never see any cygwin-announce email in cygwin.

It makes sense if you think about it -- the spam blocker that
insists on the list name being in the To or Cc header will block
these messages.  When they are relayed to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com,
the ezmlm-reject for that list sees that "cygwin@sourceware..." is
not in the To or Cc headers and rejects the note.

(To be honest, I had to poke around a little before I figured it out
myself :-)

cygwin@sourceware is still subscribed to cygwin-announce right now, but
it's on its way to being automatically unsubscribed due to bounces.

Your best bet is either to remail the note to cygwin@ after sending it
to cygwin-announce@, or to Cc: cygwin@ on the announcement.

Jason

* Re: cygwin-announce problems
@ 2000-05-10 20:42     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-10 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 08:38:15PM -0700, Jason Molenda wrote:
>On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 10:36:18PM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me if there are some kind of problems with the cygwin mailing
>> list?  I tried to gateway the cygwin-announce list into the cygwin list but
>> I never see any cygwin-announce email in cygwin.
>
>It makes sense if you think about it -- the spam blocker that
>insists on the list name being in the To or Cc header will block
>these messages.  When they are relayed to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com,
>the ezmlm-reject for that list sees that "cygwin@sourceware..." is
>not in the To or Cc headers and rejects the note.
>
>(To be honest, I had to poke around a little before I figured it out
>myself :-)
>
>cygwin@sourceware is still subscribed to cygwin-announce right now, but
>it's on its way to being automatically unsubscribed due to bounces.
>
>Your best bet is either to remail the note to cygwin@ after sending it
>to cygwin-announce@, or to Cc: cygwin@ on the announcement.

Oh well.  I was trying to avoid having to remember to do this every time
we sent email to cygwin-announce.

@ 2000-05-12  1:25       ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-05-12  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 11:42:21PM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
> >> Can anyone tell me if there are some kind of problems with the cygwin mailing
> >> list?  I tried to gateway the cygwin-announce list into the cygwin list but
> >> I never see any cygwin-announce email in cygwin.

> >It makes sense if you think about it -- the spam blocker that
> >insists on the list name being in the To or Cc header will block
> >these messages.

> Oh well.  I was trying to avoid having to remember to do this every time
> we sent email to cygwin-announce.

I just thought of a workaround.  As a parting gift to Jeff Law ;-),
I wrote a replacement for ezmlm's listname-in-to/cc checker.  My
replacement, in addition to being a lot slower, allows you to have
declare multiple valid listnames.  So the ezmlm listname-check for
the cygwin list would be disabled, my listname-checker would be
used in its place (infra/bin/check-for-listname.sh), and both
"cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com" and "cygwin-announce@sourceware.cygnus.com"
would be allowed as valid listnames for the cygwin list.

I think it'd work.  ezmlm might still have some further clever
protections to prevent mailing lists from looping and might detect
that a mailing list note is being sent through another mailing
list.  I don't think I've ever tried to include a list in a list
like this, so I honestly don't know off hand.

In any event, to avoid odd messages from ezmlm, I'd unsubscribe
cygwin@sourceware from the cygwin-announce list right now and wait
a couple of weeks for ezmlm to get the bounces out of its system.
Otherwise cygwin-announce will send ezmlm warnings about 'I had
trouble delivering the following notes ... ' to cygwin and the
cygwin users will roar in confusion.

Jason

* cygwin-announce problems
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Chris Faylor