* how do i move from quarterly to monthly web archives?
@ 2000-05-18 14:23 ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2000-05-18 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: pme

I need to move libstdc++ from quarterly to monthly. The web archives are
great, but taking too long to load.

I also like the daily separators.

How do I go about changing the formatting?

-benjamin

* Re: how do i move from quarterly to monthly web archives?
@ 2000-05-18 14:55   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-05-18 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: overseers, pme

  In message < Pine.LNX.4.10.10005181419430.28461-100000@castro.cygnus.com >you w
rite:

  > I need to move libstdc++ from quarterly to monthly. The web archives are
  > great, but taking too long to load.
Just a matter of twiddling a couple .qmail scripts and maybe a hunk of
html.  Which lists do you want changed to high volume lists?

  > I also like the daily separators.
  >
  > How do I go about changing the formatting?
No clue on this one.
jeff

* Re: how do i move from quarterly to monthly web archives?
@ 2000-05-18 16:21     ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-05-18 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: Benjamin Kosnik, overseers

The procedure is something like this for list libstdc++

  Edit /qmail/listarch/.qmail-libstdc++ (the file that calls all the list
  archiver scripts).  It will have a line like this:

|/qmail/bin/preline  /sourceware/infra/ml-archiving/www-archives.sh --medium-volume libstdc++ libstdc++ || exit 0

  This means that libstdc++ gets the medium volume handling.
  Add a line to *also* generate a high volume archive:

|/qmail/bin/preline  /sourceware/infra/ml-archiving/www-archives.sh --high-volume libstdc++ libstdc++ || exit 0

  For a period of overlap, you want to generate both styles.  After
  the next quarter boundry (July 1 currently) you should go back
  and stop generating the medium-volume style (it wastes disk space to
  continue generating both).

  Do the same copy-for-overlap for the ftp-archives.sh script.

  Next, edit /www/sourceware/ml/libstdc++/index.html.  Change the line
  which reads "<!--newquartersgohere-->" to "<!--newmonthsgohere-->".
  When the next month rolls around (June 1), the new entry will point to
  the high-volume archive.

  This means that when you go to "/ml/libstdc++/", you'll see entries for
  both "June, 2000" and "Apr - Jun, 2000".  It's not a big deal.

That's all there is to it -- just go back in a couple of months and check
for any archivers in /qmail/listarch that are generating double archives
(something like
'grep www-archives .qmail-*|sed 's,:.*,,'|uniq -c|sort -rn|head')

>   > I also like the daily separators.
>   >
>   > How do I go about changing the formatting?
> No clue on this one.

It'll happen automatically when the list is switched to high volume
style.

You can mix 'n match by adding something like --high-volume-index to
the www-archives.sh callout in /qmail/listarch/.qmail-FOO, but it won't
take affect until the next time period rolls around.

NB all of this stuff has to be done as user 'listarch', which really
means that it has to be done by someone with root access.

Jason

* Re: how do i move from quarterly to monthly web archives?
@ 2000-05-19 11:27       ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2000-05-19 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: overseers

> NB all of this stuff has to be done as user 'listarch', which really
> means that it has to be done by someone with root access.

Ok then. Can somebody who has root please do this for me? Thanks for the
detailed instructions Jason!

@ 2000-05-20 14:11         ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-05-20 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkoz; +Cc: jason-swarelist, overseers

> Ok then. Can somebody who has root please do this for me? Thanks for the
> detailed instructions Jason!

Done.

Hopefully someone will remember to run that "detect lists which are
generating both medium and high" one-line script in July like Jason
suggested.

* Re: how do i move from quarterly to monthly web archives?
@ 2000-12-30  6:08       ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkoz; +Cc: jason-swarelist, overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08     ` Benjamin Kosnik