* blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-06 10:38 ` Mark Galassi
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-07-06 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Amigos, I'm sure you will not be surprised that Eric S. Raymond has
been posting offensive message to
docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com

I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.  What's the
best way?

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-06 10:55   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-07-06 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: overseers

  In message < 76g0pn9n0x.fsf@odie.lanl.gov >you write:

  > Amigos, I'm sure you will not be surprised that Eric S. Raymond has
  > been posting offensive message to
  > docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
  >
  > I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.  What's the
  > best way?
We've had to do this for someone on the gcc lists too.

In the /qmail/lists-sourceware/<listname>/editor file you'll have something
like this:

|/usr/sourceware/bin/rbl-check.sh gcc --gcc-list
|/usr/sourceware/bin/check-for-listname.sh gcc@gcc.gnu.org egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
|/qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-reject -T '/qmail/lists-gcc/gcc'
|/qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-issubn -n '/qmail/lists-gcc/gcc/deny' || { echo "Sorry,
I've
 been told to reject your posts. Contact gcc-owner@gcc.gnu.org if you have
quest
ions about this (#5.7.2)"; exit 100 ; }
|/qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-send -r '/qmail/lists-gcc/gcc'
|/qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-warn '/qmail/lists-gcc/gcc' || exit 0
|/qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-warn -d '/qmail/lists-gcc/gcc' || exit 0
|/qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-tstdig -t24 -m30 -k64 '/qmail/lists-gcc/gcc' || exit 99
|/qmail/ezmlm/ezmlm-get '/qmail/lists-gcc/gcc' || exit 0

Look at the line which checks /qmail/lists-gcc/deny -- you'll want to add
something similar for the docbook list(s).  Then do

ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/<listname>/deny loser@whereever.net

jeff

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-06 10:58     ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-07-06 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

    Jeffrey> In the /qmail/lists-sourceware/<listname>/editor file
    Jeffrey> you'll have something like this:

Unfortunately all the /qmail/lists-sourceware/ subdirs are not
accessible.

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-06 11:02   ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2000-07-06 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: overseers

Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org> writes:

> I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.  What's the
> best way?

There is no way to block his posts without making a fuss.

I took a look at the echange.  While his messages are a bit on
the rude side, I have some sympathy with his points.
(Walsh's Docbook book is very poor in the "how-to" department,
with little of no mention of available tools and also very
little tutorial information on how to write DocBook documents.
It is almost useless for the average person wanting to write
a document.)
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-06 11:07     ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-07-06 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

OK, maybe I'm over-reacting.  I guess I'll just let it blow over.

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-06 11:11   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-07-06 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: overseers

On 6 Jul 2000, Mark Galassi wrote:
> Amigos, I'm sure you will not be surprised that Eric S. Raymond has
> been posting offensive message to
> docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
>
> I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.

I just read that on the web archive. His messages were a stronger than
necessary, but I'm not sure whether it's really a good idea to block
someone for one or two postings that were a bit harsh. And you definitely
cannot do so without making any fuss -- he can easily post from any other
address.

FWIW, having installed/failed to install Docbook tools on FreeBSD/Solaris
earlier this year, I have to admit that his rants are not completely
unfounded (content-wise).

From my experience, I'd drop him a note privately, politely asking him
to tone down a bit. And address some of the real issues ``hidden'' in
his rants.

Gerald
Have a look at http://petition.eurolinux.org -- it's not about Linux, btw!

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-06 11:11     ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-07-06 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: per; +Cc: rosalia, overseers

> There is no way to block his posts without making a fuss.

Agreed.

If you just want him to go away, ignore him.

If you want to make the tools easier, you can even try to ignore the
flamage and hunt for the legitimate gripes (er, "opportunities for
improvement") buried within.  But this part is optional and may
require a lot of counting to 10 :-).

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-07  9:54   ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2000-07-07  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: overseers

Mark Galassi wrote:

> Amigos, I'm sure you will not be surprised that Eric S. Raymond has
> been posting offensive message to
> docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
>
> I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.  What's the
> best way?

I read the thread, and I suggest doing nothing.  ESR is not very
polished, and his personality intrudes regularly, but when the hacker-
emperors are proudly striding about in the nude, he's the only one
who points it out loudly enough to get their attention.

I was at the infamous MacHack keynote where he spent five hours
proselytizing open source to a mostly vocal and hostile crowd,
with the end result that the subject dominated the conversation
for the next three days of the conference, and they all chipped in
to buy him an iBook so he could experience the Mac interface firsthand.
(By contrast, Stan had been talking about open source on Macs for the
past ten years, with zero net effect.)

This is the kind of spokesperson that open source needs right now;
muzzling him is counterproductive.

Stan

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-07-07 13:20     ` Bob Manson
From: Bob Manson @ 2000-07-07 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shebs; +Cc: overseers

In message < 39660B17.12F10657@shebs.cnchost.com >, Stan Shebs writes:
>polished, and his personality intrudes regularly, but when the hacker-
>emperors are proudly striding about in the nude, he's the only one

Hey!  Leave me out of it.

How did you know I was striding around in the nude, anyway?
					Bob

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: overseers

On 6 Jul 2000, Mark Galassi wrote:
> Amigos, I'm sure you will not be surprised that Eric S. Raymond has
> been posting offensive message to
> docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
>
> I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.

I just read that on the web archive. His messages were a stronger than
necessary, but I'm not sure whether it's really a good idea to block
someone for one or two postings that were a bit harsh. And you definitely
cannot do so without making any fuss -- he can easily post from any other
address.

FWIW, having installed/failed to install Docbook tools on FreeBSD/Solaris
earlier this year, I have to admit that his rants are not completely
unfounded (content-wise).

From my experience, I'd drop him a note privately, politely asking him

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Bob Manson
From: Bob Manson @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shebs; +Cc: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

    Jeffrey> In the /qmail/lists-sourceware/<listname>/editor file
    Jeffrey> you'll have something like this:

Unfortunately all the /qmail/lists-sourceware/ subdirs are not
accessible.

* blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Mark Galassi
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Amigos, I'm sure you will not be surprised that Eric S. Raymond has
been posting offensive message to
docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com

I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.  What's the
best way?

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Stan Shebs
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stan Shebs @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: per; +Cc: rosalia, overseers

From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

OK, maybe I'm over-reacting.  I guess I'll just let it blow over.

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Per Bothner
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Per Bothner @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: overseers

Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org> writes:

> I would like to block his posts without making a fuss.  What's the
> best way?

There is no way to block his posts without making a fuss.

I took a look at the echange.  While his messages are a bit on
the rude side, I have some sympathy with his points.
(Walsh's Docbook book is very poor in the "how-to" department,
with little of no mention of available tools and also very
little tutorial information on how to write DocBook documents.
It is almost useless for the average person wanting to write
a document.)
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: blocking impolite posters from docbook-tools-discuss
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: overseers