* Re: A PR database for Source-Navigator
@ 2000-07-20 12:37   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-07-20 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

We are having a problem with mail bouncing from the sources.redhat.com
address. This happens when using the new gnats database for
Source-Navigator. I talked to Matt G over here in soma, he said
he filed a trouble ticket with the dudes in NC about it. I might
be nice if someone over in Sunnyvale could follow up to make
sure this gets fixed.

Also, could we get the Source-Navigator web page addesd to the
main project page now that the announcement has gone up.

http://quicken.aol.com/investments/news/story/bw/?story=/news/stories/bw/20000720/a0692.htm&symbol=RHAT

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: A PR database for Source-Navigator
@ 2000-07-20 14:28     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-07-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: overseers

Mo> We are having a problem with mail bouncing from the
Mo> sources.redhat.com address. This happens when using the new gnats
Mo> database for Source-Navigator.

What exactly happens?  How can I reproduce the failure?

Mo> I talked to Matt G over here in soma, he said he filed a trouble
Mo> ticket with the dudes in NC about it. I might be nice if someone
Mo> over in Sunnyvale could follow up to make sure this gets fixed.

Filing a ticket with the NC guys is probably a waste of time.  AFAIK
they aren't involved with sourceware administration.

In this case the problem is almost certainly my fault.

Mo> Also, could we get the Source-Navigator web page addesd to the
Mo> main project page now that the announcement has gone up.

Done.  Take a look and tell me what you think.  I can change the text
if you want.

Tom

* Re: A PR database for Source-Navigator
@ 2000-07-20 14:38       ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-07-20 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Mo> We are having a problem with mail bouncing from the
> Mo> sources.redhat.com address. This happens when using the new gnats
> Mo> database for Source-Navigator.
>
> What exactly happens?  How can I reproduce the failure?

I had Matt file a pr. I then commented on the PR. He should have got
some email about it, but did not. I then got some bounced email
that looked like this. This all seems to be related to the
redhat.com domain that we are now using.

The original message was received at Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:30:23 -0400
from firebox-ext.soma.redhat.com [205.217.45.80]

<sourcenav-gnats@redhat.com>
    (expanded from: <sourcenav-gnats@redhat.com>)

... while talking to mx.corp.redhat.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<sourcenav-gnats@lacrosse.redhat.com>
<<< 550 <sourcenav-gnats@lacrosse.redhat.com>... User unknown
550 <sourcenav-gnats@redhat.com>... User unknown

  [ Part 2: "Included Message" ]

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.redhat.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; firebox-ext.soma.redhat.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:30:23 -0400

Final-Recipient: RFC822; sourcenav-gnats@mail.redhat.com
Remote-MTA: DNS; mx.corp.redhat.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 <sourcenav-gnats@lacrosse.redhat.com>... User
unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:30:24 -0400

> Mo> I talked to Matt G over here in soma, he said he filed a trouble
> Mo> ticket with the dudes in NC about it. I might be nice if someone
> Mo> over in Sunnyvale could follow up to make sure this gets fixed.
>
> Filing a ticket with the NC guys is probably a waste of time.  AFAIK
> they aren't involved with sourceware administration.
>
> In this case the problem is almost certainly my fault.

Matt seemed to think the problem was in NC, a mail MX
record or something. I really have no idea.

> Mo> Also, could we get the Source-Navigator web page addesd to the
> Mo> main project page now that the announcement has gone up.
>
> Done.  Take a look and tell me what you think.  I can change the text
> if you want.

Looks great. Don't change a thing.

thanks
Mo

* Re: A PR database for Source-Navigator
@ 2000-07-20 15:05         ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-07-20 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: Tom Tromey, overseers

Mo> <sourcenav-gnats@redhat.com>
Mo>     (expanded from: <sourcenav-gnats@redhat.com>)

That's interesting, because it should be going to
sourcenav-gnats@sources.redhat.com.
Do you know where this address came from?

I looked at the sourcenav gnats setup on sources and it definitely
says @sources.

Maybe someone is deciding that mail to sources should go to
redhat.com?

When I look with nslookup it looks like sources.redhat.com has an mx
that points to cygint.  That seems like it can't possibly be right.
It's probable that I'm misreading it though.  I haven't been a
sysadmin in eons.

Tom

* gcc.gnu.org DNS (was: A PR database for Source-Navigator)
@ 2000-07-20 15:45           ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-07-20 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:
> When I look with nslookup it looks like sources.redhat.com has an mx
> that points to cygint.  That seems like it can't possibly be right.

I did not get this from here, but noticed a bit of weirdness for
gcc.gnu.org:

  deneb[104]:~% host -a gcc.gnu.org
  gcc.gnu.org             A       205.180.83.71
  gcc.gnu.org             MX      0 egcs.cygnus.com
  gcc.gnu.org             MX      10 mescaline.gnu.org

The second MX should point to gcc.gnu.org itself, instead of
egcs.cygnus.com.

  deneb[105]:~% host -a egcs.cygnus.com
  egcs.cygnus.com         CNAME   sourceware.cygnus.com
  sourceware.cygnus.com   A       205.180.83.71

The CNAME should point to gcc.gnu.org.

  deneb[109]:~% host -a gcc.cygnus.com
  gcc.cygnus.com          CNAME   sourceware.cygnus.com

I'm less sure about this one, but gcc.gnu.org probably even could go
away altogether.

Gerald
Have a look at http://petition.eurolinux.org -- it's not about Linux, btw!

* Re: A PR database for Source-Navigator
@ 2000-07-20 16:06           ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-07-20 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Mo DeJong, overseers

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 03:05:45PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
>Mo> <sourcenav-gnats@redhat.com>
>Mo>     (expanded from: <sourcenav-gnats@redhat.com>)
>
>That's interesting, because it should be going to
>sourcenav-gnats@sources.redhat.com.
>Do you know where this address came from?
>
>I looked at the sourcenav gnats setup on sources and it definitely
>says @sources.
>
>Maybe someone is deciding that mail to sources should go to
>redhat.com?
>
>When I look with nslookup it looks like sources.redhat.com has an mx
>that points to cygint.  That seems like it can't possibly be right.
>It's probable that I'm misreading it though.  I haven't been a
>sysadmin in eons.

What command did you use to see this, Tom?

I tried nslookup -q=any and -q=mx but I didn't see anything pointing
to cygint.

cgf

* Re: A PR database for Source-Navigator
@ 2000-07-20 16:15             ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-07-20 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Chris> What command did you use to see this, Tom?

Chris> I tried nslookup -q=any and -q=mx but I didn't see anything
Chris> pointing to cygint.

Me neither -- I misread nslookup's output :-(

But I do still see something that looks wrong:

redhat.com
        origin = ns.redhat.com
        mail addr = noc.redhat.com
        serial = 2000071801
        refresh = 3600 (1 hour)
        retry   = 1800 (30 mins)
        expire  = 604800 (7 days)
        minimum ttl = 86400 (1 day)

Isn't this saying that email to sources should go to "noc.redhat.com",
whatever that is?  Or am I misunderstanding again?

Tom

* Re: A PR database for Source-Navigator
@ 2000-07-20 16:41               ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-07-20 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:
> But I do still see something that looks wrong:
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> redhat.com
>         origin = ns.redhat.com
>         mail addr = noc.redhat.com
>         serial = 2000071801
>         refresh = 3600 (1 hour)
>         retry   = 1800 (30 mins)
>         expire  = 604800 (7 days)
>         minimum ttl = 86400 (1 day)
>
> Isn't this saying that email to sources should go to "noc.redhat.com",
> whatever that is?  Or am I misunderstanding again?

I'm afraid, yes. What you are seeing is the SOA RR (= start of authority
resource record) for that domain:

 o "origin" refers to the primary nameserver, that is, the nameserver
   carrying the zone file of the domain.

 o "mail addr" is the mail address of the responsive DNS admins in
   domain notation, noc@redhat.com in this case. (There is no typo,
   the first dot has to be replaced by an at-sign.)

 o The other entries deal with caching, we're not really interested
   in that now. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Gerald

PS: In case you have any further questions, feel free to contact me! This
semester I had to give a lecture on DNS and similiar topics, even though
research-wise I do something *completely* different. :-)

* gcc.gnu.org DNS (was: A PR database for Source-Navigator)
@ 2000-12-30  6:08         ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: overseers

       [not found] <200007192103.OAA22199@ferrule.cygnus.com>
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

We are having a problem with mail bouncing from the sources.redhat.com
address. This happens when using the new gnats database for
Source-Navigator. I talked to Matt G over here in soma, he said
he filed a trouble ticket with the dudes in NC about it. I might
be nice if someone over in Sunnyvale could follow up to make
sure this gets fixed.

Also, could we get the Source-Navigator web page addesd to the
main project page now that the announcement has gone up.

http://quicken.aol.com/investments/news/story/bw/?story=/news/stories/bw/20000720/a0692.htm&symbol=RHAT

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: A PR database for Source-Navigator
@ 2000-12-30  6:08       ` Tom Tromey
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: Tom Tromey, overseers