* Mail to sources.redhat.com may be bouncing
@ 2000-07-28 10:26 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-07-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I noticed today that I couldn't submit a request to
cygwin-announce@sources.redhat.com

I believe that this is why:

nslookup -q=mx sources.redhat.com speedy.redhat.com
Server:  speedy.redhat.com
Address:  199.183.24.251

*** speedy.redhat.com can't find sources.redhat.com: Server failed

Looking at Cygnus's mail server, there appear to be a number
of bounced attempts to send mail to sources.redhat.com.

I've filed two internal 'helpdesk' cases on this problem.

Can anyone else confirm or deny that there is a problem?

cgf

* Re: Mail to sources.redhat.com may be bouncing
@ 2000-07-28 10:32   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-07-28 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Actually, I said "bouncing" but it really is "stalled".

cgf

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 01:26:33PM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
>I noticed today that I couldn't submit a request to
>cygwin-announce@sources.redhat.com
>
>I believe that this is why:
>
>nslookup -q=mx sources.redhat.com speedy.redhat.com
>Server:  speedy.redhat.com
>Address:  199.183.24.251
>
>*** speedy.redhat.com can't find sources.redhat.com: Server failed
>
>Looking at Cygnus's mail server, there appear to be a number
>of bounced attempts to send mail to sources.redhat.com.
>
>I've filed two internal 'helpdesk' cases on this problem.
>
>Can anyone else confirm or deny that there is a problem?

* Re: Mail to sources.redhat.com may be [delayed]
@ 2000-07-28 11:04   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-07-28 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: overseers

> *** speedy.redhat.com can't find sources.redhat.com: Server failed

Ouch.  I'm now getting "non-existent host/domain" which is correct and
should cause the mailer to fall back to the A record.  Is the mail
queue starting to drain?

This should only affect mail which is coming from a mailer which is
using a redhat.com name resolver (that is, redhat and cygnus mailers,
probably), as far as I know.

[kingdon@localhost kingdon]$ nslookup -type=mx sources.redhat.com
speedy.redhat.com
Server:  speedy.redhat.com
Address:  199.183.24.251

*** speedy.redhat.com can't find sources.redhat.com: Non-existent
    host/domain
[kingdon@localhost kingdon]$

* Re: Mail to sources.redhat.com may be [delayed]
@ 2000-07-28 11:15     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-07-28 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 02:04:11PM -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:
>> *** speedy.redhat.com can't find sources.redhat.com: Server failed
>
>Ouch.  I'm now getting "non-existent host/domain" which is correct and
>should cause the mailer to fall back to the A record.  Is the mail
>queue starting to drain?

That's what I was getting this morning.  I don't use a Red Hat or Cygnus
name server.

>This should only affect mail which is coming from a mailer which is
>using a redhat.com name resolver (that is, redhat and cygnus mailers,
>probably), as far as I know.

I eventually started getting the "Server failed" and that's what I now
see on several non-Red Hat machines.

The queue (on the cygnus mail machine at least) is still pretty large.

cgf

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: overseers

> *** speedy.redhat.com can't find sources.redhat.com: Server failed

Ouch.  I'm now getting "non-existent host/domain" which is correct and
should cause the mailer to fall back to the A record.  Is the mail
queue starting to drain?

This should only affect mail which is coming from a mailer which is
using a redhat.com name resolver (that is, redhat and cygnus mailers,
probably), as far as I know.

[kingdon@localhost kingdon]$ nslookup -type=mx sources.redhat.com
speedy.redhat.com
Server:  speedy.redhat.com
Address:  199.183.24.251

*** speedy.redhat.com can't find sources.redhat.com: Non-existent
    host/domain
[kingdon@localhost kingdon]$

* Mail to sources.redhat.com may be bouncing
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Chris Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers