* A quick mailing list question.
@ 2000-09-13 21:10 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-09-13 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I was wondering if anybody has any experience using mailman
( http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html )
to admin mailing lists? How does it compare to the ezlm
program we use on sourceware?

thanks
Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: A quick mailing list question.
@ 2000-09-14 10:28   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-09-14 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mdejong; +Cc: overseers

> I was wondering if anybody has any experience using mailman
> ( http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html )
> to admin mailing lists?

We use it on SourceForge.  Pluses are a powerful web interface (better
than any other free one I've seen - lacking a few key things like
"show me all the lists I'm on", but with lots of cool stuff like
customizing messages all from the web).  But the big minus is pretty
much a show-stopper (IMHO) - it doesn't get the mail out on time.
This is mailman 2.0b5 and the problem, if memory serves, is something
along the lines of a single-threaded daemon which has to do a DNS
lookup on message #1 before it even starts looking at message #2 (I'm
not completely sure about all the details but since we upgraded to
2.0b5 we've had messages sitting in the queue for hours fairly
routinely - and 1.x had other problems which made it impractical to
keep using).

Mailman's bounce handling is also much worse (less automatic) than
ezmlm.

We're not likely to switch to ezmlm on sourceforge because of the
license thing.  But other than that I might be tempted.

* Re: A quick mailing list question.
@ 2000-09-14 10:57     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-14 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: mdejong, overseers

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:25:28PM -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:
>> I was wondering if anybody has any experience using mailman
>> ( http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html )
>> to admin mailing lists?
>
>We use it on SourceForge.  Pluses are a powerful web interface (better
>than any other free one I've seen - lacking a few key things like
>"show me all the lists I'm on", but with lots of cool stuff like
>customizing messages all from the web).  But the big minus is pretty
>much a show-stopper (IMHO) - it doesn't get the mail out on time.
>This is mailman 2.0b5 and the problem, if memory serves, is something
>along the lines of a single-threaded daemon which has to do a DNS
>lookup on message #1 before it even starts looking at message #2 (I'm
>not completely sure about all the details but since we upgraded to
>2.0b5 we've had messages sitting in the queue for hours fairly
>routinely - and 1.x had other problems which made it impractical to
>keep using).
>
>Mailman's bounce handling is also much worse (less automatic) than
>ezmlm.
>
>We're not likely to switch to ezmlm on sourceforge because of the
>license thing.  But other than that I might be tempted.

Interesting.  Mailman is the software in use for the mailing lists
handled for the non-ex-cygnus part Red Hat.  There was actually a
strong inquiry lately asking us if we could switch to using it.

A web-based interface would be wonderful but I really like ezmlm's
automatic bounce handling and amazingly quick email turnaround.

cgf

* Re: A quick mailing list question.
@ 2000-09-14 11:10       ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-09-14 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Jim Kingdon, mdejong, overseers

Chris> A web-based interface would be wonderful but I really like
Chris> ezmlm's automatic bounce handling and amazingly quick email
Chris> turnaround.

The speed is addictive.  I find I want us to run it internally to
handle cvs commit lists.

I've heard that Postfix is a fast mailer but I don't know whether or
how it handles mailing lists.  I haven't looked at it.

Tom

* Re: A quick mailing list question.
@ 2000-09-14 11:26         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-09-14 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: overseers, Jim Kingdon, mdejong, overseers

  In message < 87u2bialc9.fsf@creche.cygnus.com >you write:
  > Chris> A web-based interface would be wonderful but I really like
  > Chris> ezmlm's automatic bounce handling and amazingly quick email
  > Chris> turnaround.
  >
  > The speed is addictive.  I find I want us to run it internally to
  > handle cvs commit lists.
Yea.  The biggest issue with the old system was delays -- we were seeing
24-48hr delays for messages to be posted.  Having that down to a matter of
minutes is *wonderful*.

The auto-bouncing stuff is also great, whatever system we go to has to be
as effective as what we've got now.
jeff

* Re: A quick mailing list question.
@ 2000-09-14 11:31           ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-14 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: tromey, overseers, Jim Kingdon, mdejong, overseers

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 12:27:21PM -0600, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>  In message < 87u2bialc9.fsf@creche.cygnus.com >you write:
>  > Chris> A web-based interface would be wonderful but I really like
>  > Chris> ezmlm's automatic bounce handling and amazingly quick email
>  > Chris> turnaround.
>  >
>  > The speed is addictive.  I find I want us to run it internally to
>  > handle cvs commit lists.
>Yea.  The biggest issue with the old system was delays -- we were seeing
>24-48hr delays for messages to be posted.  Having that down to a matter of
>minutes is *wonderful*.

Yeah, my productivity went up slightly by not having to deal with the complaints
about the speed, or, more annoyingly, the direct requests from people who thought
that they'd done something wrong because their email didn't show up after waiting
five minutes.

cgf

* Re: A quick mailing list question.
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jim Kingdon