* retrieving ezmlm messages, given mhonarc information
@ 2000-12-26 17:06 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2000-12-26 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I find myself needing to retrieve a bunch of messages from a few of our
-patches list archives.  I can find them in the web archives easy enough,
but saving them with netscape/lynx/wget has the problem of converting the
text of the patch into HTML tags, and that becomes a pain to fix (always
another tag that I didn't expect).

Ezmlm has the nifty "listname-get.messagenumber" address for each list
providing message retrieval.  It would especially cool and froody if that
could be used, since tools to process incoming patches already exist.

You can see where I'm going with this...

The file number in the web archives (msgNNNN.html) has no relation at all to
the list archives number, thus making all of the very useful ezmlm retrieval
functions largely useless.  The only way to get the message number is to
look in the SMTP envelope (the From_ header) of a message you already have.

Am I just SOL on this one, or am I missing something?

Phil

* Re: retrieving ezmlm messages, given mhonarc information
@ 2000-12-26 17:10   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-12-26 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: overseers

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Phil Edwards wrote:
> The file number in the web archives (msgNNNN.html) has no relation at all to
> the list archives number, thus making all of the very useful ezmlm retrieval
> functions largely useless.  The only way to get the message number is to
> look in the SMTP envelope (the From_ header) of a message you already have.
>
> Am I just SOL on this one, or am I missing something?

The latter.  ezmlm has some command to view an overview of all/selected
archived messages.

If you send a blank message to gcc-patches-help@gcc.gnu.org, you'll get
a mail with some details:

     <gcc-patches-index.123_456@gcc.gnu.org>

  so you'll actually get 100-499.

  send an empty message to:
     <gcc-patches-thread.12345@gcc.gnu.org>

Gerald

* Re: retrieving ezmlm messages, given mhonarc information
@ 2000-12-26 17:25   ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-26 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 08:15:34PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:

> The file number in the web archives (msgNNNN.html) has no relation at all to
> the list archives number, thus making all of the very useful ezmlm retrieval
> functions largely useless.  The only way to get the message number is to
> look in the SMTP envelope (the From_ header) of a message you already have.

Right.  They're two totally different systems.  The web archive numbers
are reset every month/quarter/year.  The ezmlm archive numbers increment
from the beginning of the list.

You could always go off of a message-id, maybe using grepmail on the
mbox-formatted archives.

The ezmlm program has some facilities for getting subject/author listings
of all the notes in the ezmlm archives (I forget the commands off-hand).
With the appropriate access (user 'alias' or root), you can grep around
on the archive files themselves (in /qmail/lists-gcc/listname/archive/...)
But the ezmlm mail interfaces should be sufficient for this.

There is a "ezmlm-cgi.c" included in ezmlm-idx 0.40, it allows you to
browse the ezmlm archives directly via a web interface.  (NB there was
also a security patch to this program posted a month ago or so)

Jason

* Re: retrieving ezmlm messages, given mhonarc information
@ 2000-12-26 17:34     ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2000-12-26 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 02:10:10AM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

>   To get an index with subject and author for messages 123-456 , mail:
>      <gcc-patches-index.123_456@gcc.gnu.org>
>
>   They are always returned as sets of 100, max 2000 per request,
>   so you'll actually get 100-499.

So, listname-index.100-2000@, listname-index.2001-4000@, and
listname-index.4001-8000@ walked me up to the present day, and from the
last listing I was able to retrieve one patch.

This is going to take a while.  :-)

By the way, the lists archived under sourceware (not gcc) produce a help
message still referring to sourceware.cygnus, not sources.redhat.  Just FYI.

Think I might look at that ezmlm-cgi.c program...

Thanks all,

@ 2000-12-26 17:41       ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-26 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: overseers

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 08:43:06PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:

> Think I might look at that ezmlm-cgi.c program...

It's over at ftp://ftp.ezmlm.org/pub/patches/

I don't know how it does the access control.  It'll either need to
have the web server run as 'alias' or it will need to have the
permissions changed on the archive directories so that nonprivileged
users have read access.

If the server were to run as alias, I'd probably have a separate
instantiation of the server on a different port, with a lot of
restrictions pub on that instantiation, running as alias.

Making the archive directories globally readable seems harmless.
I don't know if there are any Sekret Lists on sourceware, but care
would need to be taken if there were any foo-maintainers type lists
where the discussion should not be made public.

* retrieving ezmlm messages, given mhonarc information
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Phil Edwards
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Phil Edwards @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers