* remote rsync exploit wants disabling NOW
@ 2003-12-04  9:16 Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2003-12-04  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

see subject and

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ju-04.12.03-001/

* Re: remote rsync exploit wants disabling NOW
@ 2003-12-04  9:33 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2003-12-04  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjan van de Ven; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:16:32AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> see subject and
>
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ju-04.12.03-001/

Or in English,
	http://rsync.samba.org/

This is best handled by Chris Faylor - we don't need to discuss it
on the overseers list any further.  Rebuilding rsync is trivial,
whichever form of rebuilding he prefers for the system; this will
be fixed quickly.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jason

* Re: remote rsync exploit wants disabling NOW
@ 2003-12-04 11:14   ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2003-12-04 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: Arjan van de Ven, overseers

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Jason Molenda wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:16:32AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > see subject and
> >
> > http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ju-04.12.03-001/
>
> Or in English,
> 	http://rsync.samba.org/
>
> This is best handled by Chris Faylor - we don't need to discuss it
> on the overseers list any further.  Rebuilding rsync is trivial,
> whichever form of rebuilding he prefers for the system; this will
> be fixed quickly.
>
> Thanks for the heads up.

I've temporarily blocked rsync at the router until we can get the fix applied.

--
Matthew Galgoci
System Administrator

* Re: remote rsync exploit wants disabling NOW
@ 2003-12-04 15:09     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-04 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Galgoci; +Cc: Jason Molenda, Arjan van de Ven, overseers

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:14:29AM -0500, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Jason Molenda wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:16:32AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> > see subject and
>> >
>> > http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ju-04.12.03-001/
>>
>> Or in English,
>> 	http://rsync.samba.org/
>>
>> This is best handled by Chris Faylor - we don't need to discuss it
>> on the overseers list any further.  Rebuilding rsync is trivial,
>> whichever form of rebuilding he prefers for the system; this will
>> be fixed quickly.
>>
>> Thanks for the heads up.
>
>I've temporarily blocked rsync at the router until we can get the fix applied.

Please turn this back on.  I've turned off the rsync daemon.  However, it
looks like we wouldn't have been affected anyway, if the analysis I
read was correct.

cgf