* Yam repository
@ 2003-12-04 15:12 Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2003-12-04 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

We were wondering if there are any plans to enable the sources ftp site (and
httpd) as a Yam repository.

Regards to all,
Fernando

P.S.: David Jee has some slides with the steps to do this.  If necessary I can
post a copy.

* Re: Yam repository
@ 2003-12-04 15:27 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2003-12-04 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> We were wondering if there are any plans to enable the sources ftp site
> (and httpd) as a Yam repository.

Each individual project can in theory make a web/ftp hierarchy
into a yum repository.  This is not a system-wide matter.  Yam
repositories on the other hand tend to be regulated by various
government agencies to ensure food safety - something even our
near-omnipotent community can't overcome by mere willpower.

- FChE

* Yum repository [Was: Yam repository]
@ 2003-12-04 17:04   ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2003-12-04 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

Sorry for the typo.  I went to the kitchen and grabbed some food.
This should prevent me to keep thinking about edible things :-)

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Each individual project can in theory make a web/ftp hierarchy
> into a yum repository.  This is not a system-wide matter.

Don't we need the su password to set this up?

And there is the matter of policy.  Are sources.redhat.com projects to be
allowed to set up Yum repositories for themselves?  (I don't know
how much extra traffic it will generate -- maybe it will be just more
convenient than ftp but the bandwidth will be about the same).

Cheers,
Fernando

* Re: Yum repository [Was: Yam repository]
@ 2003-12-04 17:46     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-12-04 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser; +Cc: overseers

Fernando Nasser <fnasser@redhat.com> writes:

> And there is the matter of policy.  Are sources.redhat.com projects to
> be allowed to set up Yum repositories for themselves?  (I don't know
> how much extra traffic it will generate -- maybe it will be just more
> convenient than ftp but the bandwidth will be about the same).

I don't think we really have policy on sourceware.  Just a bunch of
people who do random stuff, and Red Hat who supports us.

I suppose we could start doing policy, though.  Any idea where can we
download it from?

Ian

* Re: Yum repository [Was: Yam repository]
@ 2003-12-04 17:58       ` Matthew Galgoci
From: Matthew Galgoci @ 2003-12-04 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Fernando Nasser, overseers

> Fernando Nasser <fnasser@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > And there is the matter of policy.  Are sources.redhat.com projects to
> > be allowed to set up Yum repositories for themselves?  (I don't know
> > how much extra traffic it will generate -- maybe it will be just more
> > convenient than ftp but the bandwidth will be about the same).
>
> I don't think we really have policy on sourceware.  Just a bunch of
> people who do random stuff, and Red Hat who supports us.

I also 'do stuff' too :)

> I suppose we could start doing policy, though.  Any idea where can we
> download it from?

There is currently no policy set, however we do have fixed bandwidth of
10Mbit (will have 15Mbit soon). I can start traffic shaping if I can get
an idea of how folks would like to see bandwidth distributed.

Fernando, I can grant you more space on people.redhat.com if you'd like, so
you could set up a yum repo there. I just need to know your requirements.

--
Matthew Galgoci
System Administrator

* Re: Yum repository [Was: Yam repository]
@ 2003-12-04 18:12         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-04 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Galgoci; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, Fernando Nasser, overseers

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:58:07PM -0500, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>>I suppose we could start doing policy, though.  Any idea where can we
>>download it from?
>
>There is currently no policy set, however we do have fixed bandwidth of
>10Mbit (will have 15Mbit soon).  I can start traffic shaping if I can
>get an idea of how folks would like to see bandwidth distributed.

Bandwidth was my major concern.  I don't think that Fernando's project
would swamp the system but every server we add is going to hurt.  IIRC,
the gcc project actually recommends using subversion for anonymous gcc
cvs access for this reason.

cgf

* Re: Yum repository [Was: Yam repository]
@ 2003-12-04 18:47         ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2003-12-04 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Galgoci; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

Matthew Galgoci wrote:

> Fernando, I can grant you more space on people.redhat.com if you'd like, so
> you could set up a yum repo there. I just need to know your requirements.

Thanks for your offer Matthew.  I just wonder if it wouldn't be more appropriate
for a community project to have it at sources.redhat.com proper.
Maybe it is a misconception I have though.