* Anonymous svn is stuck again
@ 2006-11-10  3:07 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2006-11-10  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Anonymous GCC updates are hanging again.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)

* Re: Anonymous svn is stuck again
@ 2006-11-10  3:16 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-11-10  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John David Anglin; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> Anonymous GCC updates are hanging again.

I killed a bunch from 213.33.255.122.
I'll work on converting the service to xinetd shortly.

- FChE

* Re: Anonymous svn is stuck again
@ 2006-11-10  6:29   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-11-10  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: John David Anglin, overseers

"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi -
>
> > Anonymous GCC updates are hanging again.
>
> I killed a bunch from 213.33.255.122.
> I'll work on converting the service to xinetd shortly.

I bumped it up to permit 1000 simultaneous connections.

This connection hanging is still going to be a problem, whether we
stick with tcpservers or switch to xinetd.  I wonder if there is
something we can do to kill off the many simultaneous connections.

I don't recall this ever happening with CVS.  I don't know what is
different.

Ian

* Re: Anonymous svn is stuck again
@ 2006-11-10 14:07     ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2006-11-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, John David Anglin, overseers

svnserve is a very simple beast (the serving part is about 4000 lines
of code, total).

Maybe you can spot the problem, check out
/root/svn/1.4.x/subversion/svnserve

and the underlying routines it calls are in
/root/svn/1.4.x/subversion/libsvn_ra_svn

Note that the inetd mode code is substantially simpler than daemon mode :)

@ 2006-11-10 14:25     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-11-10 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: John David Anglin, overseers

Hi -

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 10:29:37PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > I'll work on converting the service to xinetd shortly.
>
> I bumped it up to permit 1000 simultaneous connections.

I hope that doesn't become an easy DoS avenue.

> This connection hanging is still going to be a problem, whether we
> stick with tcpservers or switch to xinetd.  I wonder if there is
> something we can do to kill off the many simultaneous connections.

Well, I brought up xinetd because someone (jifl?) pointed out that
xinetd has configurable *per-client* connection limits.  I can't find
a connection duration limiting option there, but this would not be
hard to add on top - here is one way

#! /bin/sh
(sleep 3600; kill $$) &
exec svnserve $@