* Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-06 15:54 Jeff Johnston
From: Jeff Johnston @ 2007-09-06 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hello,

   I recently made some changes to the eclipse update site and
inadvertently trounced the site.xml file.  Could I please restore it to
a couple of days ago or even a week ago.

   The file in question is:

    /var/www/sourcware/htdocs/eclipse/update/site.xml

-- Jeff J.

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-06 22:38 ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2007-09-06 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnston; +Cc: overseers

jjohnstn@redhat.com wrote:

>    I recently made some changes to the eclipse update site and
> inadvertently trounced the site.xml file.  Could I please restore it to
> a couple of days ago or even a week ago.
>
>    The file in question is:
>
>     /var/www/sourcware/htdocs/eclipse/update/site.xml

Best I can do is yesterday 3pm which has the same checksum as the
current one.

I have some Really Old backups on DVD at home if that would help.
I believe other groups put their www info in CVS/SVN to avoid this
kinda problem so that might be a good idea here as well.

--Angela

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07  1:10   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2007-09-07  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnston; +Cc: overseers

Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
> jjohnstn@redhat.com wrote:
>

>>   I recently made some changes to the eclipse update site and
>>inadvertently trounced the site.xml file.  Could I please restore it to
>>a couple of days ago or even a week ago.
>>
>>   The file in question is:
>>
>>    /var/www/sourcware/htdocs/eclipse/update/site.xml

Just on the off-chance you have forgotten about it, I notice there is a
/cvs/eclipse/org.sourceware.update/site.xml,v file. The contents are
clearly a lot older than the little that is mentioned at
http://sourceware.org/eclipse/update/site.xml but it's got several things
that aren't mentioned, which may help for reconstructing the contents. Or
it may be a completely different file. I just thought I'd best mention.

Jifl

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07  1:15   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2007-09-07  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

[snip]

I don't know what the status or use of the other two smaller servers are,
but if there is sufficient disk space, I could put together an amanda
backup (on disk) of critical areas to give us incrementals over a period.
This would be as well as, not instead of, Angela's disaster recovery
backups as these servers are obviously on the same site.

What's the disk space situation on them? Is it worth doing?

If it was set up, it would mean hammering the disks to take the backup of
course, but at least network bandwidth won't be an issue :).

Jifl

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07  1:51     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2007-09-07  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> I don't know what the status or use of the other two smaller servers are,
> but if there is sufficient disk space, I could put together an amanda
> backup (on disk) of critical areas to give us incrementals over a period.
> [...]

server3 is running a weekly backup of several anonymous-rsync areas,
including CVS and mailing list archives for all the projects.  It's at
78% disk utilization (14GB free) based on this.

server2 is running mysql for the mnogosearch engine.  It has 45GB
free.

sourceware's main directories (/export/u0, /home) use 136GB and 3GB
respectively.

- FChE

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07  2:53     ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2007-09-07  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers

jifl@jifvik.org wrote:

> [snip]
>
> I don't know what the status or use of the other two smaller servers are,
> but if there is sufficient disk space, I could put together an amanda
> backup (on disk) of critical areas to give us incrementals over a period.
> This would be as well as, not instead of, Angela's disaster recovery
> backups as these servers are obviously on the same site.
>
> What's the disk space situation on them? Is it worth doing?
>
> If it was set up, it would mean hammering the disks to take the backup of
> course, but at least network bandwidth won't be an issue :).

The two little boxes never had enough disk space to back up everything
which was annoying.

I upgraded my system at home to mirrored 500G for backups and will
be moving all the backups to a colo (I got a deal for $40/U and a 10M
connection) this month.  Given the cheapness of disk, I may be able to
put together a bigger 1T-2T system and do rdiff backup type backups
of everything.  The colo will give better restore speeds as well so
it won't be quite so much of a disaster plan as it is now at my house.

--Angela

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07  9:44       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2007-09-07  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>

>>I don't know what the status or use of the other two smaller servers are,
>>but if there is sufficient disk space, I could put together an amanda
>>backup (on disk) of critical areas to give us incrementals over a period.
>>[...]
>

> server3 is running a weekly backup of several anonymous-rsync areas,
> including CVS and mailing list archives for all the projects.  It's at
> 78% disk utilization (14GB free) based on this.
>
> server2 is running mysql for the mnogosearch engine.  It has 45GB
> free.
>
> sourceware's main directories (/export/u0, /home) use 136GB and 3GB
> respectively.

Okay, that's not going to happen with that much space free then,
especially when you allow for future expansion.

I suppose no-one has a 300GB or preferably larger disk they'd be prepared
to donate to put in server3? I don't know if we could get away with IDE
rather than SCSI but I'm sure we don't need to RAID it, if all it's being
used for is reproducible stuff - if it dies we just restart the backups on
a new disk. I presume the motherboard won't have SATA. This is assuming RH
would be prepared to install, and there's room in the chassis. I do have
an unused Western Digital 320GB disk but it's a few years old and in any
case it's possibly cheaper to buy one in the States than for me to post it
from here!

I'd be happy to chip in and paypal someone in order to buy one.

If we did that, we'd have enough space on server3 for more regular
backups, with incrementals, managed by amanda. If server3 did a more
frequent rsync, amanda could just back up that, instead of connecting to
sourceware; although hopefully there would be room for amanda to back up
other things too - not just the things we want readily available for a
"hot swap".

Jifl

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07 16:11     ` Jeff Johnston
From: Jeff Johnston @ 2007-09-07 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
>> jjohnstn@redhat.com wrote:
>>

>>>   I recently made some changes to the eclipse update site and
>>> inadvertently trounced the site.xml file.  Could I please restore it
>>> to a couple of days ago or even a week ago.
>>>
>>>   The file in question is:
>>>
>>>    /var/www/sourcware/htdocs/eclipse/update/site.xml
>
> Just on the off-chance you have forgotten about it, I notice there is
> a /cvs/eclipse/org.sourceware.update/site.xml,v file. The contents are
> clearly a lot older than the little that is mentioned at
> http://sourceware.org/eclipse/update/site.xml but it's got several
> things that aren't mentioned, which may help for reconstructing the
> contents. Or it may be a completely different file. I just thought I'd
> best mention.
>
> Jifl

Thanks Jonathan.  That's very helpful.  We had an intern working on
changelog and I didn't even know he had started a cvs repository.  It is
missing a bunch of his last changes, but beggars can't be choosers.

-- Jeff J.

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07 19:07         ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2007-09-07 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers

jifl@jifvik.org wrote:

> Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> > server3 is running a weekly backup of several anonymous-rsync areas,
> > including CVS and mailing list archives for all the projects.  It's at
> > 78% disk utilization (14GB free) based on this.
> >
> > server2 is running mysql for the mnogosearch engine.  It has 45GB
> > free.
> >
> > sourceware's main directories (/export/u0, /home) use 136GB and 3GB
> > respectively.
>
> Okay, that's not going to happen with that much space free then,
> especially when you allow for future expansion.
>
> I suppose no-one has a 300GB or preferably larger disk they'd be prepared
> to donate to put in server3? I don't know if we could get away with IDE

Who would install it?  The box is in a colo in AZ that none of us have
access to.  That's one of the reasons they've never been upgraded.

--Angela

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07 21:29           ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2007-09-07 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers

Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
> jifl@jifvik.org wrote:
>>
>>I suppose no-one has a 300GB or preferably larger disk they'd be prepared
>>to donate to put in server3? I don't know if we could get away with IDE
>

> Who would install it?  The box is in a colo in AZ that none of us have
> access to.  That's one of the reasons they've never been upgraded.

That's why I was wondering whether someone in Red Hat would be able to
install it :-). I would have thought they must make occasional trips. Or
if instead it's a fully serviced colo, then some member of that service
staff could fit the disk.

Jifl

* Re: Need to restore a file
@ 2007-09-07 21:30             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-09-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers, angela, Jonathan Larmour

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 10:28:57PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
>> jifl@jifvik.org wrote:
>>>
>>> I suppose no-one has a 300GB or preferably larger disk they'd be prepared
>>> to donate to put in server3? I don't know if we could get away with IDE
>> Who would install it?  The box is in a colo in AZ that none of us have
>> access to.  That's one of the reasons they've never been upgraded.
>
> That's why I was wondering whether someone in Red Hat would be able to
> install it :-). I would have thought they must make occasional trips. Or if
> instead it's a fully serviced colo, then some member of that service staff
> could fit the disk.

I forwarded some of this thread to Matt Galgoci.  Maybe he'll be able to
increase the disk space on these systems.

cgf