* mailman commands bouncing because they have an empty body?
       [not found] <20080325021315.7AFA633D01E@dragaera.releasedominatrix.com>
@ 2008-03-25 12:08 ` Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2008-03-25 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I don't think spam filtering should apply to subscribe confirmation
messages, even if they do look like spam because they have an empty
body.

The full message I sent is also attached below.

Begin forwarded message:
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@releasedominatrix.com (Mail Delivery System)
> Date: 24 March 2008 7:13:15 PM
> To: geoffk@geoffk.org
> Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
>
> This is the mail system at host dragaera.releasedominatrix.com.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
>                   The mail system
>
> <gcc-announce-sc.1206410750.egcomjjibejicoooclhe-geoffk=geoffk.org@gcc.gnu.org
> >:
>    host gcc.gnu.org[209.132.176.174] said: 552 spam score exceeded
> threshold
> Reporting-MTA: dns; dragaera.releasedominatrix.com
> Arrival-Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:12:47 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; gcc-announce-sc.1206410750.egcomjjibejicoooclhe-geoffk=geoffk.org@gcc.gnu.org
> Remote-MTA: dns; gcc.gnu.org
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 552 spam score exceeded threshold
>
> From: Geoff Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>
> Date: 24 March 2008 7:12:46 PM
> To: gcc-announce-sc.1206410750.egcomjjibejicoooclhe-geoffk=geoffk.org@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: Re: confirm subscribe to gcc-announce@gcc.gnu.org

I originally sent something very much like:

> From: Geoff Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>
> To: gcc-announce-sc.1206410750.egcomjjibejicoooclhe-geoffk=geoffk.org@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: Re: confirm subscribe to gcc-announce@gcc.gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:12:46 -0700

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: mailman commands bouncing because they have an empty body?
@ 2008-03-25 15:38   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2008-03-25 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Keating; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> From: MAILER-DAEMON@releasedominatrix.com [...]

This spam stuff is care-of cgf, but I can say thanks for putting a
smile on my face with that domain name blast from the past.

- FChE

* Re: mailman commands bouncing because they have an empty body?
@ 2008-03-26 16:32     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-03-26 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers, Geoff Keating

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 08:06:40AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>Hi -
>
>> From: MAILER-DAEMON@releasedominatrix.com [...]
>
>This spam stuff is care-of cgf, but I can say thanks for putting a
>smile on my face with that domain name blast from the past.

As I mentioned to Geoff the automatic white list stuff in spamassassin
has been misbehaving recently and I've been contemplating turning it off
entirely.  I keep the blacklist fed with real spam but the automatic
stuff seems to have a mind of its own.

For a while I was only seeing problems on my local system, where I have
an almost-carbon-copy of sourceware's spamassassin running but, lately,
I've been seeing problems on sourceware itself.  A couple of weeks ago,
it decided that someone called "cgf" was a spammer and that definitely
wasn't cool.

cgf