* making a temp install of tex live on sourceware.org
@ 2011-03-02  8:24 Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2011-03-02  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hello,

texi2dpf is having trouble processing the gdb.texinfo manual, and
we have been producing broken PDFs for quite a while now.  The FSF
wants to produce a new paper manual based on gdb-7.2, so I thought
I'd revisit this problem.

I first tried using the latest texinfo tools, but the problem still
persists (texi2pdf says taht pdfetex returns an error, but I couldn't
find any way to have a more precise diagnostic).

I think it might be a bug with the TeX implementation, so I'm just
running an experiment by installing TeX Live in ~gdbadmin/bin/texlive.
One issue is that the predicted install size is 750MB, and that's after
I removed half of the suggested stuff.  Once I've finished running
my experiment, we can decide what to do next...

I hope this isn't going to stress the machine too much.

--
Joel

* Re: making a temp install of tex live on sourceware.org
@ 2011-03-02  9:11 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2011-03-02  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

> I think it might be a bug with the TeX implementation, so I'm just
> running an experiment by installing TeX Live in ~gdbadmin/bin/texlive.
> One issue is that the predicted install size is 750MB, and that's after
> I removed half of the suggested stuff.  Once I've finished running
> my experiment, we can decide what to do next...

I confirm that the Tex Live install allows us to produce a correct
PDF for the GDB Manual.

I'd like to put this into production for the manuals that we produce
both nightly and for the manuals we produce for our releases. We could
use the install I made in /home/gdbadmin, but this volume seems a little
tight on available space (1.8G left, out of 10G). The root filesystem
has a lot more room (18G), so if we give gdbadmin a directory somewhere
where it has write priviledges, I can install TeX Live there...

I am assuming that moving sourceware.org to a more recent distro
is a major undertaking, and that there is no real upgrade of TeTeX
available for this version of RH.

Thank you!
--

@ 2011-03-02 15:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-03-02 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Joel Brobecker

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:24:07PM +0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>Hello,
>
>texi2dpf is having trouble processing the gdb.texinfo manual, and
>we have been producing broken PDFs for quite a while now.  The FSF
>wants to produce a new paper manual based on gdb-7.2, so I thought
>I'd revisit this problem.
>
>I first tried using the latest texinfo tools, but the problem still
>persists (texi2pdf says taht pdfetex returns an error, but I couldn't
>find any way to have a more precise diagnostic).
>
>I think it might be a bug with the TeX implementation, so I'm just
>running an experiment by installing TeX Live in ~gdbadmin/bin/texlive.
>One issue is that the predicted install size is 750MB, and that's after
>I removed half of the suggested stuff.  Once I've finished running
>my experiment, we can decide what to do next...
>
>I hope this isn't going to stress the machine too much.

Actually, it sounds like it might.  Why are you using sourceware for
this?  Why can't you run things on your desktop?

cgf

* Re: making a temp install of tex live on sourceware.org
@ 2011-03-02 16:01   ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2011-03-02 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

> Actually, it sounds like it might.  Why are you using sourceware for
> this?  Why can't you run things on your desktop?

This is not for me, but to produce the manuals available online
from the GDB web page...

--

@ 2011-03-02 16:41     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-03-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Joel Brobecker

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 08:01:37PM +0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>> Actually, it sounds like it might.  Why are you using sourceware for
>> this?  Why can't you run things on your desktop?
>
>This is not for me, but to produce the manuals available online
>from the GDB web page...

I got that.  When I update things for Cygwin I make the changes and
check them into CVS.  I don't need to login to sourceware at all.

* Re: making a temp install of tex live on sourceware.org
@ 2011-03-02 17:10       ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2011-03-02 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

> I got that.  When I update things for Cygwin I make the changes and
> check them into CVS.  I don't need to login to sourceware at all.

So you are saying that I shouldn't be using sourceware.org to do
all the nightly snapshots, documentation updates, etc? I normally
do not login to sourceware either, as this is normally taken care
of by the scripts that are run nightly from gdbadmin's crontab.

(to my defense, this practice wasn't started by me, but I think
it makes sense)

--
Joel