* too many processes
@ 2011-09-06 19:47 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-09-06 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: agk; +Cc: overseers

Hello Alasdair,
You routinely have a lot of rsync processes running on sourceware.  I tried to
contact you about this once on irc but I don't think I got a reply.

Could you take steps to correct this problem?  I don't know why you're running
so many rsyncs but something clearly seems to be wrong.

* Re: too many processes
@ 2011-09-06 20:01 ` Alasdair G Kergon
From: Alasdair G Kergon @ 2011-09-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 03:45:25PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> You routinely have a lot of rsync processes running on sourceware.  I tried to
> contact you about this once on irc but I don't think I got a reply.
> Could you take steps to correct this problem?  I don't know why you're running
> so many rsyncs but something clearly seems to be wrong.

None running at the moment - it should only run one at once and they should be
quick.  I'll check the script anyway and try to keep an eye on it.

If you spot it again, send me an email, or grab 'ps' output or something.

But all I can think of is that it is rsyncing onto a fs mounted over NFS and
occasionally NFS causes trouble - maybe the process backs up due to that.

Alasdair

* Re: too many processes
@ 2011-09-06 21:27   ` Alasdair G Kergon
From: Alasdair G Kergon @ 2011-09-06 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:01:09PM +0100, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> But all I can think of is that it is rsyncing onto a fs mounted over NFS and
> occasionally NFS causes trouble - maybe the process backs up due to that.

Stale NFS handle messages appearing in the logs from time to time - I'll assume
it's due to that and change it to use direct local storage.

Alasdair