* FW: FW: URGENT... Please delete this mail from group
@ 2012-08-30  4:15 Deepti Sharma
From: Deepti Sharma @ 2012-08-30  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hello,

Can you please help me in getting this message deleted from the archive?
http://www.mail-archive.com/gcc@gcc.gnu.org/msg65218.html

I am not sure if I am targeting the right mail-id for this. I am really
sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Deepti

From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2012-08-30 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepti Sharma; +Cc: overseers

On 30/08/12 05:14, Deepti Sharma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you please help me in getting this message deleted from the archive?
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gcc@gcc.gnu.org/msg65218.html

The overseers have no control over external sites.

I suggest you read <http://sourceware.org/lists.html#archive-archive>
which is essentially referring to the same sort of problem. By now your
mail has been sent to thousands of people, and duplicated and archived in
countless places all across the internet, both public and private. For
example as well as mail-archive.com:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.devel or
http://readlist.com/lists/gcc.gnu.org/gcc/ or
http://marc.info/?l=gcc&r=1&w=2 and so on and so on. It is simply too late
to do anything about it. Removing it from just the gcc.gnu.org/sourceware
archives would achieve nothing in practice. As that link indicates and the
http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html "Policies" section says, we do not edit the
archives, other than to remove viruses or illegal material.

Incidentally, you also managed to quote the email you wanted hiding in
full in your message (I've not quoted it again), which means it has now
been duplicated into the archives for this mailing list as well, and
therefore across the internet a second time.

You just have to face up to the fact that you sent something out to the
world you shouldn't have, it's not possible to unsend it, and move on.

Jifl

* Re: FW: FW: URGENT... Please delete this mail from group
@ 2012-08-30 18:43   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-08-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepti Sharma, overseers, Jonathan Larmour

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 07:38:16PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>On 30/08/12 05:14, Deepti Sharma wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can you please help me in getting this message deleted from the archive?
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/gcc@gcc.gnu.org/msg65218.html
>
>The overseers have no control over external sites.
>
>I suggest you read <http://sourceware.org/lists.html#archive-archive>
>which is essentially referring to the same sort of problem. By now your
>mail has been sent to thousands of people, and duplicated and archived in
>countless places all across the internet, both public and private. For
>example as well as mail-archive.com:
>http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.devel or
>http://readlist.com/lists/gcc.gnu.org/gcc/ or
>http://marc.info/?l=gcc&r=1&w=2 and so on and so on. It is simply too late
>to do anything about it. Removing it from just the gcc.gnu.org/sourceware
>archives would achieve nothing in practice. As that link indicates and the
>http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html "Policies" section says, we do not edit the
>archives, other than to remove viruses or illegal material.

Except that we made an exception in this case and, amazingly, the OP
*compounded* *the* *problem*.  The mind boggles.

cgf