* looks like sources.redhat.com is no longer valid for rsync
@ 2012-10-28 21:39 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-10-28 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I noticed a bunch of mirrors falling off the Cygwin list of mirrors so I
contacted the admistrator for mirrors.kernel.org to see if he could tell
me why.  This is the reason:

rsync rsync://sources.redhat.com/ftp
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(764) [Receiver=3.0.9]

As was previously noted here, sources.redhat.com is no longer the same
thing as sourceware.org.

I'm sending email to all of the cygwin mirrors to ask the mirrors to
make the change but I guess we should be getting the word out to all of
the mailing lists that could have people subscribed via
"sources.redhat.com" too.

cgf

* Re: looks like sources.redhat.com is no longer valid for rsync
@ 2012-10-28 22:39 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2012-10-28 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I noticed a bunch of mirrors falling off the Cygwin list of mirrors so I
> contacted the admistrator for mirrors.kernel.org to see if he could tell
> me why.  This is the reason:
>
> rsync rsync://sources.redhat.com/ftp
> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(764) [Receiver=3.0.9]
>
> As was previously noted here, sources.redhat.com is no longer the same
> thing as sourceware.org.

Hmm, I wonder what other hidden (so far) effects this change has,
for other projects and various services?

On the GCC wide we've been using gcc.gnu.org as the canonical
hostname for a looong time, and I am nearly through updating
any reference to point to sourceware.org.  Anything else I
should do?

> I'm sending email to all of the cygwin mirrors to ask the mirrors to
> make the change but I guess we should be getting the word out to all
> of the mailing lists that could have people subscribed via
> "sources.redhat.com" too.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

Gerald

* Re: looks like sources.redhat.com is no longer valid for rsync
@ 2012-10-28 23:45   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-10-28 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 10:39:06PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Oct 2012, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I noticed a bunch of mirrors falling off the Cygwin list of mirrors so I
>> contacted the admistrator for mirrors.kernel.org to see if he could tell
>> me why.  This is the reason:
>>
>> rsync rsync://sources.redhat.com/ftp
>> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
>> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(764) [Receiver=3.0.9]
>>
>> As was previously noted here, sources.redhat.com is no longer the same
>> thing as sourceware.org.
>
>Hmm, I wonder what other hidden (so far) effects this change has,
>for other projects and various services?
>
>On the GCC wide we've been using gcc.gnu.org as the canonical
>hostname for a looong time,

A lot of the services are different between sourceware and gcc so I'd
be slightly surprised if there was any gcc fallout from this.

>and I am nearly through updating any reference to point to
>sourceware.org.  Anything else I should do?

So far, we've heard about CVS and rsync.  If someone routinely sends email
to a sources.redhat.com address that would have to be changed too.

I suppose it's possible that someone could have used sources.redhat.com
in a bookmark or, possibly even with git.

>> I'm sending email to all of the cygwin mirrors to ask the mirrors to
>> make the change but I guess we should be getting the word out to all
>> of the mailing lists that could have people subscribed via
>> "sources.redhat.com" too.
>
>Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

Note, I haven't sent email to any other mirrors.  If there are mirrors
specifically set up for binutils or gdb then they may not have gotten
this memo.  Also, the list of mirrors at sourceware.org/mirrors.html is
quite out of date and I don't have contact information for most of them.

cgf