* sourceware hardware transition
@ 2013-03-11 21:29 Frank Ch. Eigler
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2013-03-11 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sourceware Overseers

Hi -

I propose to spend the week of March 18..22 on the long-awaited
sourceware hardware transition task.  I'd appreciate some overseer
availability/assistance/advice.

My rough plan is to:

- announce to the various groups that there will be outage(s) next week

Next monday:

- bring down most network services on server
- do a couple of final rsyncs from server.->server[45]
- IP-number-exchange server5 <-> server
- bring up server5 running basically nothing, just ssh
- then activate network services one by one as their
  files/configurations are hand-massaged, in this likely order
  of priorities:
     - git/cvs
     - mail
     - httpd
     - other stuff
  (If people are too worried about the loss of some email or somesuch
  during the back-on transition, I guess we could firewall everything
  off until everything is up, then let the awaiting hordes in.)

If things go too south, I'd undo the renumbering, and be back where we
were.

- FChE

* Re: sourceware hardware transition
@ 2013-03-11 21:43 ` Jeff Law
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff Law @ 2013-03-11 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Sourceware Overseers

On 03/11/2013 03:29 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I propose to spend the week of March 18..22 on the long-awaited
> sourceware hardware transition task.  I'd appreciate some overseer
> availability/assistance/advice.
>
> My rough plan is to:
[ ... ]
>    of priorities:
>       - git/cvs
Please add "svn" here :-)

jeff

* Re: sourceware hardware transition
@ 2013-03-11 21:58 ` Jeff Law
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff Law @ 2013-03-11 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Sourceware Overseers

On 03/11/2013 03:29 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I propose to spend the week of March 18..22 on the long-awaited
> sourceware hardware transition task.  I'd appreciate some overseer
> availability/assistance/advice.
It's been more than a decade since I did anything of significance on the
IT side for sourceware.  But if there's something I can do, let me know.

I don't seem to have root privs anymore, so that'd have to be fixed
first if I'm going to be of any help  -- think deeply before restoring
them :-)

jeff

* Re: sourceware hardware transition
@ 2013-03-11 23:20 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-03-11 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 05:29:18PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>Hi -
>
>I propose to spend the week of March 18..22 on the long-awaited
>sourceware hardware transition task.  I'd appreciate some overseer
>availability/assistance/advice.
>
>My rough plan is to:
>
>- announce to the various groups that there will be outage(s) next week
>
>Next monday:
>
>- bring down most network services on server
>- do a couple of final rsyncs from server.->server[45]

I did a recent rsync of qmail and www to /sourceware1.  I would have done
more but I wasn't sure how the disks should be partioned since root is
a little undersized.  I pinged you about this on irc but I don't think
you responded.

I think we have to do some disk reorganization before we start bringing
things up.  I don't think there is any reason to keep the rather odd
disk layout that's currently on sourcware anymore where we keep
everything under /sourceware.

I can take some time off next week to work on this if necessary.

cgf

* Re: sourceware hardware transition
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-03-12  5:25 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2013-03-12  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Sourceware Overseers

"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com> writes:

> I propose to spend the week of March 18..22 on the long-awaited
> sourceware hardware transition task.  I'd appreciate some overseer
> availability/assistance/advice.

Let me know what you need.  I have no time but I'll do what I can.

Ian

* Re: sourceware hardware transition
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-03-13  6:36 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2013-03-13  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Sourceware Overseers

On 11/03/13 22:29, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>       - git/cvs
>       - mail
>       - httpd
>       - other stuff
>    (If people are too worried about the loss of some email or somesuch
>    during the back-on transition, I guess we could firewall everything
>    off until everything is up, then let the awaiting hordes in.)

Since at least gcc bugzilla relies on things like bugzilla mail handling,
including some magic scripts relating commits to bugs; and every project
has some sort of mailing list for commits, I think things will need
firewalling before the hordes.

Jifl

* Re: sourceware hardware transition
@ 2013-03-13 17:23   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2013-03-13 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Sourceware Overseers

Hi -

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 07:36:26AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> [...]
> Since at least gcc bugzilla relies on things like bugzilla mail handling,
> including some magic scripts relating commits to bugs; and every project
> has some sort of mailing list for commits, I think things will need
> firewalling before the hordes.

There is a tradeoff here.  I suspect it's more acceptable to get
version control systems up ASAP (and risk losing some VCS- or
bugzilla-notification emails), than delay bringing the machine up
until all those interdependent services are up.  What do you think?

@ 2013-03-13 17:26     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-03-13 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, Sourceware Overseers, Jonathan Larmour

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 01:22:38PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>Hi -
>
>On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 07:36:26AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>> [...]
>> Since at least gcc bugzilla relies on things like bugzilla mail handling,
>> including some magic scripts relating commits to bugs; and every project
>> has some sort of mailing list for commits, I think things will need
>> firewalling before the hordes.
>
>There is a tradeoff here.  I suspect it's more acceptable to get
>version control systems up ASAP (and risk losing some VCS- or
>bugzilla-notification emails), than delay bringing the machine up
>until all those interdependent services are up.  What do you think?

I don't know.  In the past people have been upset when email like this
goes missing.

I could probably get email working well enough to work with this but
I don't know enough about bugzilla to confidently predict what's needed
there.

Could we have our bugzilla guy on tap for this event?

cgf

* Re: sourceware hardware transition
@ 2013-03-20  1:41     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2013-03-20  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Thanks to all of you who worked on the update!

I was going to offer my help, but missed the window, and then
the migration took place and I realized the list like won't
work. Still, if there is anything I can help with, let me know!

From what I can tell, well done. :-)

Gerald

* Re: sourceware hardware transition
@ 2013-03-20  2:19       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-03-20  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 02:41:22AM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>Thanks to all of you who worked on the update!
>
>I was going to offer my help, but missed the window, and then
>the migration took place and I realized the list like won't
>work. Still, if there is anything I can help with, let me know!

From what I can tell, well done. :-)

You can always hop over to #overseers at freenode.  It's a laugh-a-minute.

cgf