* Account creation disabled on GCC Bugzilla
@ 2014-09-01 10:36 Frédéric Buclin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Frédéric Buclin @ 2014-09-01 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I again disabled account creation on GCC Bugzilla due to spammers being
still very active. 117 user accounts have been created since yesterday.
102 have been identified as spammers and have been disabled. For the
remaining 15 accounts, I have no evidence that they are spammers. At
least one of these 15 accounts is valid, so I don't want to blindly
disable them all, see https://pastebin.mozilla.org/6263691 for the list
of still enabled accounts.

311 bugs have been created on GCC Bugzilla since yesterday. Only 2 are
valid bugs. The remaining 309 ones are all spam and have been moved into
the 'spam' component and marked as INVALID.

Frédéric

* Re: Account creation disabled on GCC Bugzilla
@ 2014-09-01 11:02 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2014-09-01 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/01/2014 12:35 PM, Frédéric Buclin wrote:
> 311 bugs have been created on GCC Bugzilla since yesterday. Only 2 are
> valid bugs. The remaining 309 ones are all spam and have been moved into
> the 'spam' component and marked as INVALID.

Have you considered setting the rel="nofollow" attribute on external
hyperlinks?  Allegedly, it provides a disincentive to spammers.

* Re: Account creation disabled on GCC Bugzilla
@ 2014-09-01 11:10 ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2014-09-01 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 12:35:57PM +0200, Frédéric Buclin wrote:
> I again disabled account creation on GCC Bugzilla due to spammers being
> still very active. 117 user accounts have been created since yesterday.
> 102 have been identified as spammers and have been disabled. For the
> remaining 15 accounts, I have no evidence that they are spammers. At
> least one of these 15 accounts is valid, so I don't want to blindly
> disable them all, see https://pastebin.mozilla.org/6263691 for the list
> of still enabled accounts.
>
> 311 bugs have been created on GCC Bugzilla since yesterday. Only 2 are
> valid bugs. The remaining 309 ones are all spam and have been moved into
> the 'spam' component and marked as INVALID.

Thanks.  Would e.g. captcha on account creation help?

	Jakub

* Re: Account creation disabled on GCC Bugzilla
@ 2014-09-01 12:55   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2014-09-01 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On September 1, 2014 6:10:40 AM CDT, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 12:35:57PM +0200, Frédéric Buclin wrote:
>> I again disabled account creation on GCC Bugzilla due to spammers
>being
>> still very active. 117 user accounts have been created since
>yesterday.
>> 102 have been identified as spammers and have been disabled. For the
>> remaining 15 accounts, I have no evidence that they are spammers. At
>> least one of these 15 accounts is valid, so I don't want to blindly
>> disable them all, see https://pastebin.mozilla.org/6263691 for the
>list
>> of still enabled accounts.
>>
>> 311 bugs have been created on GCC Bugzilla since yesterday. Only 2
>are
>> valid bugs. The remaining 309 ones are all spam and have been moved
>into
>> the 'spam' component and marked as INVALID.
>
>Thanks.  Would e.g. captcha on account creation help?

Based on my experience with a musician fan site, the answer is no. We have a very stupid and obvious question that google does not give an answer for. That slows them down enormously.

Also there are some sites which list known spam my accounts. My wife uses a couple of them. I think one is stopforumspam.com. you may be able to automate checking for the account there. These are manually reported account by forum admins.

--joel

@ 2014-10-23 19:01 ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2014-10-23 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

What should I tell a user who wants to create an account?

Jason

* Re: Account creation disabled on GCC Bugzilla
@ 2014-10-24 15:08   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-10-24 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 11:56:19AM -0400, Jason Merrill wrote:
>What should I tell a user who wants to create an account?

That they should follow the instructions and contact overseers.