* anonymous rsync
@ 2015-02-16  8:36 Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2015-02-16  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

On icedtea.classpath.org we keep a git and mercurial mirror of the mauve
repository (*). To create the mirrors we fetch the cvsroot of mauve
every 2 hours with rsync. I noticed the rsync connection gets reset more
often the last couple of weeks. And in particular the last 12 hours all
attempts got: rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104).

Is there anything we can do to make this go smoother?
Currently we are using the following crontab entry:
6 */2 * * * rsync -aHxhz --delete rsync://sourceware.org/mauve-cvs/ /mirror/cvsroot/mauve

Thanks,

Mark

(*) http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/git/mauve/
http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/hg/mauve/

* Re: anonymous rsync
@ 2015-02-16 16:01 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2015-02-16 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> [...] I noticed the rsync connection gets reset more often the last
> couple of weeks. And in particular the last 12 hours all attempts
> got: rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104).

Like other resource-hungry anonymous resources, anon-rsync has
throttles such as connections-per-sourceip and connections-total.
These limits were bumped up for git:// recently and for rsync://
just now.

> Is there anything we can do to make this go smoother?
> Currently we are using the following crontab entry:
> 6 */2 * * * rsync -aHxhz --delete rsync://sourceware.org/mauve-cvs/ /mirror/cvsroot/mauve

You could use rsync-over-ssh with a (passphrase-less?) ssh-key
dedicated to "rsync --daemon" in your .ssh/authorized_keys.

- FChE