* wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-11 16:13 Christopher Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2017-01-11 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I'm losing my current job (after ten years at NetApp) at the end of
January and have several months of severance + vacation coming.  So, I
thought I'd spend some time working on sourceware.  This is what I
currently plan on doing:

Web form:

- Add better ssh key checking to the web form

- Notify people when they try to sign up for an account and already
  have an account.

- Add the ability to request addition to a new group

Account:

- Provide a query to find out what your current email forwarding is
  set to

If anyone has any other ideas on things to make better please send them
here.  I don't know bugzilla very well but maybe I can add that to my
resume if there is something that needs to be done there.

cgf

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-11 19:41 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2017-01-11 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 11:12 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> If anyone has any other ideas on things to make better please send them
> here.

There might already be a way to upload releases for a project that
doesn't need full shell access which I don't know about. But if there
isn't then it might be nice to have a mechanism to upload release
tarballs so they automatically show up under
ftp://sourceware.org/pub/<project>/ and
https://sourceware.org/<project>/ftp/

For a bigger project it might be nice if sourceware could host a
buildbot master for projects (the slaves doing the actual builds would
run somewhere else of course). gdb and glibc are currently running a
buildbot master somewhere else. And I would like to setup one for
elfutils too.

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-11 20:12   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2017-01-11 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Mark Wielaard

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 08:40:49PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 11:12 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> If anyone has any other ideas on things to make better please send them
>> here.
>
>There might already be a way to upload releases for a project that
>doesn't need full shell access which I don't know about. But if there
>isn't then it might be nice to have a mechanism to upload release
>tarballs so they automatically show up under
>ftp://sourceware.org/pub/<project>/ and
>https://sourceware.org/<project>/ftp/
>
>For a bigger project it might be nice if sourceware could host a
>buildbot master for projects (the slaves doing the actual builds would
>run somewhere else of course). gdb and glibc are currently running a
>buildbot master somewhere else. And I would like to setup one for
>elfutils too.

Thanks.  I'll take a look at those.  No guarantees.  I think the second
one might need consensus.

I set up an upload process for Cygwin a few years ago that used a
chroot'ed sftp environment.  Would something like that suffice?

cgf

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-11 20:54     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2017-01-11 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 15:12 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I set up an upload process for Cygwin a few years ago that used a
> chroot'ed sftp environment.  Would something like that suffice?

That would be nice. I am just asking so anybody in a project group could
do releases. So that when the maintainer that has shell access is
away/on vacation/etc. other maintainers can still upload stuff if
necessary. It isn't a big deal though. Just nice to have.

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-11 23:07       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2017-01-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard, overseers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 09:54:47PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 15:12 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I set up an upload process for Cygwin a few years ago that used a
>> chroot'ed sftp environment.  Would something like that suffice?
>
>That would be nice. I am just asking so anybody in a project group could
>do releases. So that when the maintainer that has shell access is
>away/on vacation/etc. other maintainers can still upload stuff if
>necessary. It isn't a big deal though. Just nice to have.

That's why I set this up for Cygwin except it's less complicated than
what I set up there.

This would still require installing ssh keys somewhere but I would
leave that under the control of the project leaders.

cgf

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-11 23:29         ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2017-01-11 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard, overseers

Hi -

> This would still require installing ssh keys somewhere but I would
> leave that under the control of the project leaders.

Or it could be a "ssh sourceware.org /bin/rash upload PATH/FILE" mode,
so people use their preexisting restricted-shell accounts.  The hard
part there would be restricting the destination PATH to some
whitelisted project ftp dir.

... unless sftp/scp already works under ssh/rash.  Tried that?

- FChE

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-11 23:49           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2017-01-11 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard, Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 06:29:41PM -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>> This would still require installing ssh keys somewhere but I would
>> leave that under the control of the project leaders.
>
>Or it could be a "ssh sourceware.org /bin/rash upload PATH/FILE" mode,
>so people use their preexisting restricted-shell accounts.  The hard
>part there would be restricting the destination PATH to some
>whitelisted project ftp dir.
>
>... unless sftp/scp already works under ssh/rash.  Tried that?

I think the intent was that people wouldn't need a new sourceware
account as they do with rash.  Access to the project upload directories
would be controlled by project maintainers who would install new ssh
keys "somewhere".  That's what I did for Cygwin.  We don't have a new
sourceware account for every single Cygwin maintainer.  Access is
handled by ssh key and that ssh key only gives access to a specific
directory.

Under Cygwin the key also controls who had access to what package but
that wouldn't be needed here.

cgf

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-12 15:25             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2017-01-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Mark Wielaard, Frank Ch. Eigler

Hi guys,

On Jan 11 18:49, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 06:29:41PM -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> >> This would still require installing ssh keys somewhere but I would
> >> leave that under the control of the project leaders.
> >
> >Or it could be a "ssh sourceware.org /bin/rash upload PATH/FILE" mode,
> >so people use their preexisting restricted-shell accounts.  The hard
> >part there would be restricting the destination PATH to some
> >whitelisted project ftp dir.
> >
> >... unless sftp/scp already works under ssh/rash.  Tried that?
>
> I think the intent was that people wouldn't need a new sourceware
> account as they do with rash.  Access to the project upload directories
> would be controlled by project maintainers who would install new ssh
> keys "somewhere".  That's what I did for Cygwin.  We don't have a new
> sourceware account for every single Cygwin maintainer.  Access is
> handled by ssh key and that ssh key only gives access to a specific
> directory.
>
> Under Cygwin the key also controls who had access to what package but
> that wouldn't be needed here.

Just to let you know the Cygwin solution has a small problem.  It works
for most people most of the time, when using lftp for uploads.  However,
for some people the connection just dies for no apparent reason when
trying to upload files with sftp, myself included.  I tried to debug the
problem but I didn't find the cause, unfortunately.  As far as I can
tell it's related to the usage of the NET::SFTP::SftpServer module since
uploading against a standard sftd-server works fine.

Here's the thread on the cygwin-apps ML in terms of this problem:

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-02/msg00299.html

Maybe somebody has a clue what's going on there?!?  Given that I'm
affected by this problem as well for some reason, I'll be available
for further testing if required.

Thanks,
Corinna

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-12 16:36 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2017-01-12 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi -

> [...]  If anyone has any other ideas on things to make better please
> send them here.  [...]

It'd be neat to set up a wiki for sourceware administration info.  The
bits on https://sourceware.org/sourceware/ are out of date and not
easy enough to change.

- FChE

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-01-12 17:43   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2017-01-12 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Frank Ch. Eigler

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:36:45AM -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>Hi -
>
>> [...]  If anyone has any other ideas on things to make better please
>> send them here.  [...]
>
>It'd be neat to set up a wiki for sourceware administration info.  The
>bits on https://sourceware.org/sourceware/ are out of date and not
>easy enough to change.

Noted.

cgf

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-02-06 12:32 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2017-02-06 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Jason Merrill

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I'm losing my current job (after ten years at NetApp) at the end of
> January and have several months of severance + vacation coming.  So,
> I thought I'd spend some time working on sourceware.

Wow, that's a generous offer!

> If anyone has any other ideas on things to make better please send them
> here.  I don't know bugzilla very well but maybe I can add that to my
> resume if there is something that needs to be done there.

Here are some items I can think of, some of which may be easy, some
not in a direction you'd be interested in, but who knows?

 - Looking at item 13 of https://gcc.gnu.org/releasing.html , it would
   be good to allow generation of those docs on sourceware directly.
   (Jonathan Wakely may have further input.)

 - The GIT conversion of the GCC repository got stalled; Jason Merrill,
   who has done some work there already, might be open for help.

 - wwwdocs for gcc.gnu.org is still on CVS.  We were hoping to move
   it to GIT as the GCC SVN moves to GIT (and Jason had a first version
   already).

   With the latter stalled, perhaps it would make sense to move it to
   SVN (so that it's at least the same system as the source) or move
   ahead and move it to GIT?  I am certainly willing to help with that.

 - Leverage the the data coming in via the gcc-testresults mailing list.

   For years a volunteer has been providing updates to the likes of
   https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-5/buildstat.html , which is a single point
   of failure (and I have not seen an update for a while) and also
   should be something to automate.

   And beyond that, once this in a database, asking questions like
   "Which platforms does a certain test FAIL on / PASS on?" that we
   just had on the gcc mailing list today would be helpful.  (On that
   asking the GCC developers list for requirements probably would be
   best.)

Gerald

* Re: wishlist for sourceware?
@ 2017-02-06 12:37   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2017-02-06 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Jason Merrill

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>  - wwwdocs for gcc.gnu.org is still on CVS.  We were hoping to move
>    it to GIT as the GCC SVN moves to GIT (and Jason had a first version
>    already).
>
>    With the latter stalled, perhaps it would make sense to move it to
>    SVN (so that it's at least the same system as the source) or move
>    ahead and move it to GIT?  I am certainly willing to help with that.

If moving to get, in addition what Jason may be able to share, there
is also input from Corinna (see below), in particular on how to link
this into the web infrastructure.  GCC's case is a little bit more
complex, so this would need to be adjusted a little.

Gerald

From: Jason Merrill @ 2017-02-06 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> wrote:
>  - The GIT conversion of the GCC repository got stalled; Jason Merrill,
>    who has done some work there already, might be open for help.

It's currently stalled by bugs in reposurgeon, waiting for ESR to have
time to address them.

>  - wwwdocs for gcc.gnu.org is still on CVS.  We were hoping to move
>    it to GIT as the GCC SVN moves to GIT (and Jason had a first version
>    already).
>
>    With the latter stalled, perhaps it would make sense to move it to
>    SVN (so that it's at least the same system as the source) or move
>    ahead and move it to GIT?  I am certainly willing to help with that.

I think moving to SVN would be a waste of effort.  If you're up for
managing the integration with the web infrastructure, it shouldn't
take long to finish the Git conversion, I'll just need to update the
user map.

Jason