* I can't subscribe to bzip2-devel
@ 2019-06-26  2:13 Federico Mena Quintero
From: Federico Mena Quintero @ 2019-06-26  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Dear overseers,

Mark Wielaard recommended that I contact you with this problem.

I'm trying to subscribe to the bzip2-devel mailing list, but it's not
sending me the confirmation mails.

I've sent a few mails to bzip2-devel-subscribe@sourceware.org with
"subscribe federico@gnome.org" in the subject.

I wonder if this has to do with the problem:  before trying that, I
sent one mail with "subscribe federico@suse.com", but changed my mind
about which address I wanted to use.  I *did* get that confirmation
email, but did not reply to it, thinking that I could just send another
subscription request for my gnome.org address.

Could you please check why I can't subscribe?  I apologize if my
unanswered confirmation triggered some fake-subscription detection or
something.

  Federico

* Re: I can't subscribe to bzip2-devel
@ 2019-06-26  2:26 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2019-06-26  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Mena Quintero; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> Mark Wielaard recommended that I contact you with this problem.
> I'm trying to subscribe to the bzip2-devel mailing list, but it's not
> sending me the confirmation mails.

Welcome - I subscribed you by hand. (/usr/bin/ezmlm-sub)

- FChE

* Re: I can't subscribe to bzip2-devel
@ 2019-06-26 15:35 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2019-06-26 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Mena Quintero; +Cc: overseers, federico

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 09:13:27PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
>Mark Wielaard recommended that I contact you with this problem.

For future reference, please use postmaster@sourceware.org for email
related issues.  I don't think we want to make a habit of debugging
email issues here.  I've reset the Reply-To of this message.

>I'm trying to subscribe to the bzip2-devel mailing list, but it's not
>sending me the confirmation mails.

I see that fche has force subscribed you but I took a look at the logs and
sourceware seems to be having a recent problem establishing a connection:

Tue Jun 25 17:17:23 2019 32640443 from: <federico@gnome.org> to: bzip2-devel-subscribe@sourceware.org status: success: ezmlm-manage:_info:_qp_118654/did_0+0+5/
Tue Jun 25 17:17:23 2019 32824965 from: <bzip2-devel-return-@sourceware.org> to: federico@gnome.org status: deferral: Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/

There are several of these in the logs and it looks like it is, even
now, trying to establish a connection.  It looks like there are also
a lot of these that are unrelated to a subscribe attempt.

Trying to connect to gnome.org from sourceware.org:

% dig gnome.org mx
;; ANSWER SECTION:
gnome.org.		899	IN	MX	10 smtp.gnome.org.

% telnet smtp.gnome.org. 25
Trying 209.132.180.187...
telnet: connect to address 209.132.180.187: No route to host

and

% nmap -Pn smtp.gnome.org
Starting Nmap 7.70SVN ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-06-26 11:30 EDT
Nmap scan report for smtp.gnome.org (209.132.180.187)
Host is up (0.055s latency).
Not shown: 997 filtered ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
22/tcp  open  ssh
80/tcp  open  http
443/tcp open  https

So, it seems like the issue is on the smtp.gnome.org end as there
doesn't seem to be anything accepting smtp connections.

cgf