* Re: sourceware.org migration notice
       [not found] <20200226231341.6322.qmail@sourceware.org>
@ 2020-02-27  2:32 ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2020-02-27  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I'd like to check some things regarding the new mailing list archiving
configuration.

1. Email address munging in list archives messes up more than email
addresses and ought to be disabled.  E.g.
http://server2.sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2020-February/153667.html
has Texinfo diffs interpreted as email addresses and munged, which is very
bad for readability.  (The monthly .txt files have such munging as well.)

2. I'm not sure what the source is from which the mailman version of the
archives was generated, but it's missing older messages for some lists.
September 1997, but those at http://server2.sourceware.org/pipermail/gcc/
essentially start in November 2001 (the few "earlier" messages are
actually ones sent later where the sender's clock was way off).  I presume
the existing /ml/ list archives will remain available in any case, but
it's clearly best if there's one place someone can look to find all
messages from the lifetime of a list rather than needing to look in
different places for older and newer messages.

3. The "Raw text" links in the existing MHonARC archives are a killer
feature whenever you want to apply a patch from the list archives.  Does
mailman support such a feature?

I believe the existing MHonARC archiving system is essentially independent
of qmail / ezmlm - it just involves listarch-* email addresses that are
subscribed to the lists and pipe each message to
/sourceware/infra/ml-archiving/www-archives.sh with some options depending
on the mailing list.  So setting up those addresses to work appropriately
on the new sourceware and keeping the existing archives updated would
address all three issues.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: sourceware.org migration notice
@ 2020-02-27 15:25   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-02-27 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 02:32:30AM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
>I believe the existing MHonARC archiving system is essentially independent
>of qmail / ezmlm - it just involves listarch-* email addresses that are
>subscribed to the lists and pipe each message to
>/sourceware/infra/ml-archiving/www-archives.sh with some options depending
>on the mailing list.  So setting up those addresses to work appropriately
>on the new sourceware and keeping the existing archives updated would
>address all three issues.

We'll be keeping the old mailing list archives around.